Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Expensive LT Headers vs. Not So Expensive

For various reasons I know there is a bit of power left on the table for my LSx Vette. I still have a modest tune and stock headers with a modest cam and agressive heads.

I'd love some American Racing Headers because they're cool looking and Mad in America, but golly they ain't cheap.

Can there really be so much difference in power between expensive headers (American Racing, QT, LG) and not so expensive like Hedman etc?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

The only way I can think of to prove either way is stick them on a flow bench and see. Maybe the big buck stuff uses some hi tech super secret alloy for their tubes. Ideal world, they'd retain the heat to keep the flow rate up, but not radiate it to the surrounding parts. I've heard of headers that have steps to fight reversion too. And how about equal length? Look in the collector of some of those "equal length" headers and the primary tubes are within 1/4" of each other. Do they make up the distance with bends? Seems somewhat counterproductive.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Graphics B*tch

Ben,

I have a great article for you to read on this. I will try and get it to you soon, or at least scan it and e-mail it to you.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Thanks guys. I got a slight tingle in my pants to get the power that's been laying on the table for my engine since I installed. You know 390WHP really isn't enough to go to the gym. Anywho, I don't mind spending top dollar for good stuff. But I'm not a big fan of paying for hype. So just want to figure what's what. As I recall there's a good break down on LS1 Tech about this as well. Then I made a pot about just QTP vs. American Racing Headers (ball park same high price), and my god those guys went ape $hit on each other.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

From what I've heard the HP difference is not much, but it's more about the fit and how long they last. I think generally cheaper versions tend to leak more and have fitment problems. Not really sure though
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
From what I've heard the HP difference is not much, but it's more about the fit and how long they last. I think generally cheaper versions tend to leak more and have fitment problems. Not really sure though
I agree although I've run Hooker Headers on the Chevelle for years without any leaks and only bought new ones because I wanted the ceramic coating. Which by the way is well worth the extra $150 or so. The issue with cheaper headers is the usaully don't fit properly and have to be modified to fit. I haven't run into that issue but I did talk to a guy at CSW with a '69 BBC Chevelle like mine and he did run into that issue with a set he bought (don't remember what brand he said). He said that they hit the steering shaft and he had to put a dent in them with a hammer to keep them from hitting. The other issue is that the flanges are usually thinner and end up warping and then leaking. I had a set of Headman headers on the Chevelle before I bought my first set of Hooker headers and they warped at the head and collector which both leaked.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

I gained 25 more whp with my kook's L/T's very noticable. My freind's have the same exact setup on the same car minus the header's and i get em off the line and all around, very expensive but i'm still glad i got them on, it's been a year now and no issues at all.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrtive View Post
I gained 25 more whp with my kook's L/T's very noticable. My freind's have the same exact setup on the same car minus the header's and i get em off the line and all around, very expensive but i'm still glad i got them on, it's been a year now and no issues at all.
Was that 25whp gained over using the stock manifolds or did you have a different manufacturers L/T headers? If you had L/T do the kooks have the same primary and collector size as the old ones?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Was that 25whp gained over using the stock manifolds or did you have a different manufacturers L/T headers? If you had L/T do the kooks have the same primary and collector size as the old ones?
Yes it was stock manifolds, on the srt8's they have a shorty header manifold to begin with, as for the collector question i'm not sure. The kook's came w/catted mid's.