Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #1

Default Dropped in to say "Hey".

Hey guys, name's Matt, and all my friends just call me DB. My '77 Vette has a normally aspirated 350, soon to be replaced by a baddass 405. I have been working in and on engines for about a decade and I've finally decided to get out of my comfort zone and build a high CR, high HP, high TQ engine.

SBC 405
Roller Retrofit
64cc Aluminum Vortec Heads (200cc Intake Runners.)
10.15:1 Static CR
Crane 119661 Roller Cam - I292 - E300 - Dur .50 - 230 / 238 @ 112 - LI.539 - LE.558

I'm waiting for the pistons to finish the build and then I get to install. I'll be sure to post some pics.

My car is nothing of a race car, and I'm more of a cruiser than a racer though I enjoy having spirited fun on the streets sometimes. The 350 I have now is the first 350 I ever built about 10 years ago. It still runs good, prolly a good 230 HP at the rear wheels, but it's time for more power. I have built some really cool engines for my friends and customers and I'm finally giving myself the treatment too.

Can't wait to dig in here, this place looks cool.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Welcome aboard. Built any forced induction motors?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Welcome aboard. Built any forced induction motors?

No I have not. In fact I have very limited experience with even working on forced induction engines. I really want to learn more, and had even go so far as to tentatively plan a GM Ls platform engine with a marine Whipple super charger kit so it would fit under a Vette hood...maybe for my next Vette.

I have worked on a few turbo engines, a Nissan 300ZX, and a few turbo Eclipses. Nothing special though.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That's a nice cam. Lots of lift and not too much duration. Are those specs with a 1.5 rocker? If you get carried away with the duration you'll ruin the car as a DD... like I did.

And what sort of Eclipses have you worked on? GSTs or GSXs? I've always wanted to build a GSX, I don't think there was ever enough hype for those cars considering the platform.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
That's a nice cam. Lots of lift and not too much duration. Are those specs with a 1.5 rocker? If you get carried away with the duration you'll ruin the car as a DD... like I did.

And what sort of Eclipses have you worked on? GSTs or GSXs? I've always wanted to build a GSX, I don't think there was ever enough hype for those cars considering the platform.

It was a GSX, the all wheel drive car. Back in '98 or '99, when they discontinued it, I almost went in and bought one. I had the money saved up and I was young and had a rock star job. I drove a double black and LOVED it, but I was still leery cause around here the Eclipses had a erp for being a chick car.

Anyway, someone I worked with had a NA Talon, and liked the GSX he traded up, and got the GSX. He immediately started modding it, bigger turbo, chip...stuff I really didn't understand.

I helped him with quite a bit and it was fun learning.

Oh, and instead of the GSX I ended up buying my black Vette.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:

Too much effective. Hell, I have 254 effective and mine is a DD. I guess it just me.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 08-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:

I think I will have a really fun engine to play with with my lockup off, and when I want steetability I can turn on the lockup and enjoy some cruising. I don't think I have blown it out of the realm of having a nice DD experience when I want it.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #8

Welcome Aboard!

Closed Thread