Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Diesel Tuner

Tuner for my Jeep is $800... Balls. It helps my mpg by 2-4, offers a dpf delete, and improves tq and hp by 60 and 30 respectively.

But... Would I be an idiot to unnecessarily invest $800 in a 9 year old Jeep with 168k miles?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Graphics B*tch

If the 2-4 is real world and you drive enough miles I think that the investment could be worth it if you are gonna hold onto the vehicle for a while. 168K is not a lot of miles for a diesel remember.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 09-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I decided against this btw.

Spent a few hours reading through the forums, the gain seems to be realistically 1.5-1.7 mpg. People claim 2, 3, or 4 mpg improvement, but if you look at the posts with actual data, including decimal calculations, its always less than 2 mpg, even with the dpf delete.

At the rate, it would take 4 years to break even. Plus the added toque Im sure comes with a turbo, fuel pump, trans wear price. And I dont really care about making my 4800lb Jeep fast.

So Im thinking about investing into a taller gear set. Everyone who owns these complains about the high freeway rpm, but no one has done anything economical to solve it, to my knowledge.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

The ability for black smoke makes the $800 so worth it. FWIW, I only notice those gross improvements on the drive to vegas.

Also, your wear on the fuel pump, egr, turbo and probably even the trans will go down with the removal of the DPF and new tuning. Get that fuckin thing off of there.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

What gears are on it? Do you tow?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Default Diesel Tuner

Update, I got to keep my cake and got to eat it too.

I found a tune by Malone Tuning LTD for the Diesel CRD. They sell a stage 1, stage 1.5, and a DPF delete only. The DPF/ EGR delete only option was like $350.

So I pull the trigger, show up to the installers house, he downloads my file and sends it to this Canadian company about 3 minutes before they close (he was running late for our appointment). So he sends my comp file out to them for modification, calls them, and they rush to modify and send the file back in the 60 seconds they have before work ends.

The tuner downloads it, and says, that's weird, they titled it "Stage 1.5 tune." After climbing under the car to disconnect some sensors, etc., I get in to test it, gun it... And damn. They sent me the Stage 1.5 tune! Hahahahahaha

Turbo is louder now, spools up sooner, and it'll spin all 4 coming out of an intersection. It's no 1000ft lbs cummins, but it's definitely a hot little van motor now. It surprisingly feels more like a v8, it has the same low end torque but doesn't slow down after that initial grunt. It's the horsepower that's more noticeable surprisingly.

Anyways, fabbed a delete a week later. Yay for black soot on annoying drivers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Ben, 3.73, and I tow a lot surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

Default Diesel Tuner

off road diesel has the red die in it because u dont pay all of the taxes that u would if u got it at the pump