Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Setback

So I noticed today as I was finishing up the sanding, that my headlights won't open. The headlights will now hit the body behind them, if I push down on the body (area behind the headlights in front of the hood) there is enough room for them to lift. So after examining I realize that the body has somehow separated from the metal brace underneath it. So now I need to glue it or screw it (and fill over the screws)... ugh. I think I'll glue it, I don't like drilling holes in the body. Anyone know what sort of glue will stick to rusty steel and SMC?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So I noticed today as I was finishing up the sanding, that my headlights won't open. The headlights will now hit the body behind them, if I push down on the body (area behind the headlights in front of the hood) there is enough room for them to lift. So after examining I realize that the body has somehow separated from the metal brace underneath it. So now I need to glue it or screw it (and fill over the screws)... ugh. I think I'll glue it, I don't like drilling holes in the body. Anyone know what sort of glue will stick to rusty steel and SMC?

Bummer dude, how long do you think it'll take to glue it down?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

First I need to find out what sort of glue will stick to SMC and steel. Then I need to find some of those huge bench press 45 lb weights. Then I need to grind up the surfaces, somehow and clean them. Should only take a few hours once I have everything in front of me. I hope to God the glue will hold.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The consensus on vettemod seems to be that the support needs to come out, change that few hours to a few days.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Good news! The glue is only 50 f*cking dollars! And the gun that it requires to mix it is only $90!!! Oh yeah, and it's special order. Looks like this few hour setback will take a week to fix.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

At least you found a fix. Could be worse.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Can you just lift the lights, pull the vaccum (so they don't operate) and turn them on off? In other words, you're not gonna let this stop you from coming out on our cruise are you?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Can you just lift the lights, pull the vaccum (so they don't operate) and turn them on off? In other words, you're not gonna let this stop you from coming out on our cruise are you?
I'll come one way or another, trying to get Pehl to bring his Evo, I might ride shotgun with him. Or I might steal the SRT4 for the night. Bringing the Vette will be a matter of the weather forecast, specifically humidity. Since I will no longer be able to epoxy primer the Vette on Friday like I was planning, I can't allow condensation to settle on the body or it will set back the paint job another two weeks. (I'd have to allow the Vette to dry out in the garage for another two weeks.) If it will be a dry night like last night, I'll probably bring her out. Are there any laws about driving with the hood off?

And yes I can push the body down so the headlights will open temporarily.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . .. Are there any laws about driving with the hood off?
Probably. But it'd be dead sexy.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Are there any laws about driving with the hood off?
I been driving the Chevelle without a hood for years and have never been pulled over for it. I don't even have a hood for it anymore.