Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Fast & Filthy

Great job Adam. It looks great, especially for your first time. I've never painted a car (the spray can paint on the Chevelle doesn't count) but I remember my dad painted a Vega that he had. It took him 8 times before he managed to get it even close to what you just did the first time. Nice job!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ya, it should come out fine. Fortunately you can't even see it unless you get on your knees and look. Since it's on the underside of the fender.
Great job!!!

If you catch someone on their knees looking at the underside of your fender, kick them in the ass while they're down there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light.

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to kameleongt

car looks great the tinted light looks good did you test for amount of light that goes past all those layers of paint?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's probably dark enough to get in trouble but they look sick. It was the least amount of candy that I could use to get them to look jet black. They look tinted red till they're installed. I'll take a pic at night when I get a chance.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #16

Quote:
They look tinted red till they're installed.

They look a LOT darker once they're on the car don't they ???

Great job on the paint - looks better than mine..... now I'll go back to 220 grit ...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light.

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic.
What happened, did you re-shoot that fender with the clear run?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Bill walked past the car with his paint can opener hanging off his belt loop... Need I say more?

We had to mask the entire car, sand down the whole panel and reshoot. It's a perfect match though, you'd never know which panel it was even if I told you. We used the same paint (same match, same conditions) so I lucked out... if you want to look at it that way.

The clear run is no big deal. After the paint hardens for a month it'll color sand out. The car needs to be color sanded any how.

Before:

After colorsanding:
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?
I'm sure pro guys rarely do it, if at all. But as long as the run is in the clear, not the color or the base, it will sand out easily. So it's just not a big deal. I had one run in the pearl, so I had to let it dry for a bit, sand it out with 800, then it was good to go. Sandpaper will fix all.

There are 4 coats of clear, and more coats of clear than base is typical, so this would be most common during the clear stage any how.

If we do the blue pearl over white for the RX, I'll need to steal some paint to practice on my surfboard. Pearl over white is the hardest to do, and this blue pearl would be much, much more transparent than my black pearl. Ergo, it will be much harder not to make it look blotchy. I'll probably just dust it on back and forth a few times for each coat till it barely gets wet, as opposed to getting it wet with one stroke. That's how I did the candy black on the tail lights.