Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
takes some getting used to but it performs for what I use it for.
Zombie apocalypse preparation? LOL.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I do, it started out as a simple milspec that i installed a match barrel, did my own trigger work with billet short pull adjustable trigger, 2 piece stainless match guide rod with 10lb main spring,. I still have my parkerized lightweight skeleton hammer and dove tail to insall. Shoots quickly and has very low recoil when usues low grain loads. Trigger pull is about 5lbs and pull length 1/8", takes some getting used to but it performs for what I use it for.
Congrats, Shaolin, sounds like a very nice gun. Just out of my curiosity, what convinced you to use a 2 piece guide rod.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
Congrats, Shaolin, sounds like a very nice gun. Just out of my curiosity, what convinced you to use a 2 piece guide rod.
I got it for free and I like the ease of maintanence. Its still quite simple to tear the gun apart and I can do it just as quickly as before i touched it. IIRC it came out of a trophy match springfield. I like it over aftermarket 2 piece guide rods. When its threaded together its impossible to tell that its a 2 piece.

I wasnt going for a super hopped up 1911, just something that shoots a low grain load very quickly without fear of penetrating interior walls. Since its not a high end 1911 I feel better about tit going everwhere with me, I sleep with it, it goes on vacation with me, i house it in my serpa holster on motorcycle riding trips, hiking, etc. I have other handguns but this one i trust my life with the most.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
Zombie apocalypse preparation? LOL.
You know what they say, "there's no hunting like the hunting of man."
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #35

Shaolin:
Are you sure that 2 piece guide rod came from a Springfield Trophy Match. I own a very early Springfield Trophy Match from about 95 or so, one of the very first ones out & when they were only blue over blue, and even though I also have a 2 piece guide for in mine, I don't remember it coming from the factory with it in there.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #36
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
Shaolin:
Are you sure that 2 piece guide rod came from a Springfield Trophy Match. I own a very early Springfield Trophy Match from about 95 or so, one of the very first ones out & when they were only blue over blue, and even though I also have a 2 piece guide for in mine, I don't remember it coming from the factory with it in there.
I could be mistaken about it being from a trophy match but i'm positive it came from a factory springfield model. IIRC it was a trophy match though, but its possible it was a national match since it has been a long time since I performed the work on it.

Stopping the world!

Last edited by Shaolin Crane : 06-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #37

It has been proven that FLGRs in general neither help nor hurt accuracy.

It is impossible for a .45 auto recoil spring to bind & / or kink inside the gun with a GI type guide rod unless it was kinked before installation.

2 piece FLGRs are considered inferior to 1 pc guide rods by many as they can come apart and / or loose, and require a allen wrench for assembly and disassembly.

.45 autos having 2 piece FLGRs in most cases are easier to assemble and disassemble than those that do not have a FLGR. Depends mostly on the experience of the shooter in which system he has the most time with assembly &/or disassembly. Heavier spring rates are more difficult.

FLGRs add a little weight to the muzzle end of the gun, thus reducing recoil tip-up and aiding in the back on target time.

FLGRs can and probably will smooth out the cycling a tad.

Some FLGRs are available in tungsten, increasing the weight at the muzzle a tad more.

Most of the gamers and competition shooters use them in one form or another.

They do remove the "twang" sound when cycling your .45 auto by hand if it does so. Some .45 autos have that "Twang" and some don't. That is the recoil spring rubbing against the frame recoil spring tunnel generally.

I neither recommend nor not recommend the use FLGRs. Regardless of what others tell you it is strictly a matter of personal preference.

FLGRs do have quite a few haters, that's for sure.

FWIW, I use FLGRs in all 5 of my 1911 platform .45 autos.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #38
pain's fun, hit me again

FLGRs align the slide to the barrel sooner in the cycling action. I noticed a great improvement over the standard milspec bushing. Mine has never come loose but i dont let oil get on the threads either. Never had an issue and dont plan on removing it.

Stopping the world!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
I, Vettezuki

Gary,

$500 for a 1911.

In your opinion: what, who, where?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Gary,

$500 for a 1911.

In your opinion: what, who, where?
Sorry, Vettezuki, I guess I have been sleeping & not been on here for a while. I really don't know what to recommend in the $500 range. I would take a look at 1911Forum, M1911 forum, 1911 Addicts forum, & Firing Line forum. Most of those forums have a "Range Report" section, & you will see quite a few people asking about the same thing that you are asking. Sorry, not much help from my end.