Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default T56 power

Not sure if I've asked this before, but I was wondering how much power a stock T56 can take with big tires. If I did go through the trouble of getting offset trailing arms and widening my rims, and then stuffing my IRS with 12 bolt internals from Toms... would my trans hold up?

So I'm guessing Sean will know this best, how much power are people putting through T56s at the track with decent size tires?

I got to thinking about this because I raced a Challenger last night on the 5. I hit the gas in 3rd gear at around 70mph and the freeway had a slight curve, which cause me to slide into his lane. Not fun, I've never lost traction going that fast before. After I corrected and hooked I destroyed him btw, I started wondering if it was an SRT and then I thought to myself... does it matter? I'm such a prick.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Not sure if I've asked this before, but I was wondering how much power a stock T56 can take with big tires. If I did go through the trouble of getting offset trailing arms and widening my rims, and then stuffing my IRS with 12 bolt internals from Toms... would my trans hold up?

So I'm guessing Sean will know this best, how much power are people putting through T56s at the track with decent size tires?

I got to thinking about this because I raced a Challenger last night on the 5. I hit the gas in 3rd gear at around 70mph and the freeway had a slight curve, which cause me to slide into his lane. Not fun, I've never lost traction going that fast before. After I corrected and hooked I destroyed him btw, I started wondering if it was an SRT and then I thought to myself... does it matter? I'm such a prick.
I installed a T56 in the Cobra after breaking the T5 twice. Mine has held up fine to 6000rpms launches on M/T ET Streets with 471rwhp and 423rwtq. I believe the T56 is rated at somewhere around 500TQ with the 10 spline input shaft and like 550 or 600TQ with the 26 spline but I could be wrong.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Very cool, I heard only 450. And I have the higher spline input shaft. I thought it was 27, but I know it's not 10 so it must be the 26.

So my trans has a fighting chance? As long as I don't get too crazy with the tire. I'd never run slicks but I was thinking of street tires, 315-335 territory. I only have 275s right now.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Viper spec T56s get abused hard into and beyond 700hp, FWIW.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Viper spec T56s get abused hard into and beyond 700hp, FWIW.
What about Camaro spec T56s? And what's FWIWIFWWIW?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
What about Camaro spec T56s? And what's FWIWIFWWIW?
FWIW = For What It's Worth.

As I recall (pure memory) the F-Body (standard spec) is 450 torque by rating and the Viper is 650, or something like that spread. Now that's a rating. Again, as I recall that rating is calculated by loading the transmission with said torque and running it for 24 hours continuously. The shock to a trans from a clutch drop with sticky tires is a whole different ballgame, I wouldn't do that. Just slip a little bit and that makes a huge difference. For dragging, if you want to get a lil extra slick, use a line lock to preload the trans and learn to time the release of the line lock and drop the hammer. Some guys (relatively few) do this.

Or you could just step up your game and dial the exact ratio set you want and get a Jerico and forget about it.

http://www.jericoperformance.com/4.html

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I remember hearing 450, I'm just waiting for Sean to chime in with stories of guys on ls1forum putting down 6, 700hp through a stock trans on some big fatty Viper tires. Or breaking it.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

They're pretty robust. A lot of the Cobra guys are running 500+ hp through the stock T56 with a 10spline input shaft and it seems to hold up okay(myself included). The big power guys swap in the 26spline though.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

I don't know if it's a separate deal if that is what a Viper spec is, but you can have the input or output (both?) hardened. There may be even a higher spec Adam.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I don't know if it's a separate deal if that is what a Viper spec is, but you can have the input or output (both?) hardened. There may be even a higher spec Adam.
If memory serves the Viper was a 31 spline and other stuff was better too, IF memory serves.