Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default 10k car for my fiance

Have I shared that news yet? Engaged, yay

So we need to get her a car for about 10k. I want something small, as sporty as possible, but ~30 miles to the gallon.

Annnd go! ...No fox bodies Guy.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Congrats but I can't help with the car.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

A) Congrats.

B) 2006 Mazda MX-5, which I just happen to have, and, after the engine swap will be in good running condition again. Well under 10K. Brand new cloth top, fairly new tires.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

Congrats and concur with miata
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
A) Congrats.

B) 2006 Mazda MX-5, which I just happen to have, and, after the engine swap will be in good running condition again. Well under 10K. Brand new cloth top, fairly new tires.
Why not sell it to me with the broken engine and save us both some money?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Whats wrong with the engine btw? And is it already being worked on? Already purchased a donor engine?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Whats wrong with the engine btw? And is it already being worked on? Already purchased a donor engine?
It somehow ran low on oil and now makes an unpleasant sound from the bottom of the engine. So AT LEAST a bad main bearing probably, but you know all the other things that can go wrong.

I was going to by a a replacement used engine from Texas tomorrow, but I'll hold off. If you want to buy it as-is, come and take a look at the overall condition of the car for yourself and make me an offer it seems like it might work out for you. I have no need nor is it my nature to dick people around. My plan was to replace engine, fix windshield (it's cracked) sun visors (which fall down) and one trim piece. I figured to spend $3k for all that and to sell for around $6k. That's where my head is at. Obviously there's some value in saving me hassle.

The car's interrior is in solid shape, the top is literally brand new (that's $1k right there) and blah blah. LMK.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Feel free to fix the window and sun visors and add that to your price. Unless of course you are just too fed up with cars at this point to do anything But I will come check it out, definitely.

As of yesterday I was considering either an MX5, Solstice, or the Sky. So I am serious about it. I was actually considering the MX5 because I liked your wife's car so much. What sort of mileage does it get realistically? Automatic? How many miles are on it?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Super Moderator

And how much is the replacement engine? Although, Id be more inclined to get it machined and buy new internals.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

It's an awesome little car and until the Protege had trouble necessitating a new car, we intended to keep it after fixing.

It's a six speed automatic, that you can manually shift (paddles or lever).

Mileage depends on foot, but realistically average is probably somewhere higher 20s.

Replacement engines range between low 2s to 3s depending on details. You could probably save money by going through it yourself and havnig it machined as needed, but that takes time and relative to the money you'd save may not be worth it now that you've got a gig, etc. But that's your call if interested.

I was going to go to Pick a Part for the windshield once it was running. They do as good a job as anyone and charge quite a bit less. Basically I wasn't going to do any of the trim stuff until it was running again.

Let me know if you want to look at it and if so when.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)