Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Effects of Dropping Compression on HP

I'm just north of 11:1. I need roughly 93 octane to be safe (especially in the hotter/crappier gas summer).

My cam is moderate at 224/224 LSA 114, lift .566 AIR.

If I use a cometic gasket to drop CR .5-1 full point (I think that's the max possible) and all other things being equal, how much power could I expect to lose?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm just north of 11:1. I need roughly 93 octane to be safe (especially in the hotter/crappier gas summer).

My cam is moderate at 224/224 LSA 114, lift .566 AIR.

If I use a cometic gasket to drop CR .5-1 full point (I think that's the max possible) and all other things being equal, how much power could I expect to lose?
Don't, you may end up making it detonate more. Do you know what your current quench is?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Don't, you may end up making it detonate more. Do you know what your current quench is?
Nope. And why would dropping CR make it ping/detonate? I sorta remember what quench is, but I thought the upshot was that it's a detail, nice to dial in perfect, but not a mega deal breaker.

More CR means more heat, cuz that's what happens when gases get compressed. Less compression means less heat.

Ideally I want two things.
- maintain power as much as possible (all else being equal)
- get to a pump gas only situation

Other things I'm thinking of doing will and/or may not effect the situation.
- 160 T-stat. (I'm running stock which I *think* is 190.)
- Shorties (certainly retain less heat against the heads that the cast OE manifolds)
- Hi flowing cats -> hopefully less back pressure, better scavenging, less heat in combustion chamber ???
- If I take off the heads I have sodium filled vales I could use.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Ron is right, you may end up detonating more. BUT, as I remember from that last quench thread we started for you, you may be able to go thicker and still stay within the .055, which is the LS1 stock GM spec if I remember correctly. So you'd be fine.

The way to do it is to increase the bore of the HG as much as possible while only increasing the thickness 10 or 15/1000ths. That way you keep decent quench.

If I remember correctly you're WOT AFR was around 14:1 wasn't it? 12:1 would allow a lower octane too. It would run cooler. You can also try colder plugs.

As far as the hp goes, I don't know. I can e-mail you a desktop dyno program if you want to play around.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #5

That much compression could support a bigger cam, IMO. Crunch the DCR numbers and see if will get you there. A larger lobe profile will reduce the DCR and more than likely fend off pinging/detonation.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Here's the thread on quench for reference. I remember now. I have no idea what my current quench is. It should be OE. I'm using standard thickness HGs (AIR) and the internals are stock. The higher CR is from milled heads.

enkei, I am running colder copper plugs and that seems to have made some difference. The colder stat and shorties should help quite a bit too.

Big_G. My cam is the biggest I can get away with in CA for my engine combo. I would like to have run a slightly larger cam, but that would almost certainly push me out of bounds for the sniffer.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here's the thread on quench for reference. I remember now. I have no idea what my current quench is. It should be OE. I'm using standard thickness HGs (AIR) and the internals are stock. The higher CR is from milled heads.

enkei, I am running colder copper plugs and that seems to have made some difference. The colder stat and shorties should help quite a bit too.

Big_G. My cam is the biggest I can get away with in CA for my engine combo. I would like to have run a slightly larger cam, but that would almost certainly push me out of bounds for the sniffer.
Swap out some 1.7s every two years. And order those HGs with the huge bore. I prob posted a link for them somewhere.

There's only one real way to find out if it will make enough of a difference.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Swap out some 1.7s every two years. And order those HGs with the huge bore. I prob posted a link for them somewhere.

There's only one real way to find out if it will make enough of a difference.
I'm 99% sure stock rocker ratio is 1.7. Why change every two years?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
If it won't pass tail pipe.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Like you were 99% sure about port frequency and smogging an LS1 in an RX7? Hahahahaha. JK.

I guess they are 1.7ish, sort of. You can go to a 1.8 then, you get my point. Looks like Crane 1.7s are effectively 1.8.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...rms/index.html