Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Supercharger vs. Turbo, for the 1 millionth time

THe LS in my 82 Vette is technically regarded as a 2001 Camaro. While personally I'd kinda lean towards a twin screw for FI, that's not an option because (to my knowledge) there were no legal roots/twin screw blower setups for the 01' Camaro (couldn't fit). However, there are C.A.R.B. legal Pro Charger setups and (I think) STS rear mount turbo setups. Mmmm, I really like all motor solutions, but meeting emissions standards and go NA is, well, darned hard. If I just wanted a nice streetable 500+- WHP, which would be better, the ProCHarger, the STS, or really doesn't matter???

Additional points to consider:
I have TONS of space under the rear of my C3, however routing around the IRS may be challenging, I just don't know. I do like the idea of the weight out near the rear axle rather than sitting in front of the engine, and it's obviously taking in outside air, and there's plenty of room for a gigantic intercooler too if I wanted. What I don't like is all that extra tubing running the whole length of the car; installations are not so pretty.

The only down sides to the Pro Charger are pakaging would be tight, plumbing to from an intercooler would be a hell of a puzzle and not such a fan of weight sticking out over the front axle. Also, I get mixed reviews on how long those belts last.

I'm 3,100lbs full wet, and have plans (who knows when) that would actually drop me below 3,000 if I stayed all motor, so adding a little weight with a FI setup is not such a big deal. Anyways, just daydreaming a bit. Gotta finish the damned project car first.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Internet Tough Guy

My $.02

I had a procharger kit form my GT. I will never buy another procharger for any vehicle. I think they make some of the best head units, but they go cheap on there tubing, clamps, hoses, etc...... I found the kit to be maintenance intensive and problematic.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
My $.02

I had a procharger kit form my GT. I will never buy another procharger for any vehicle. I think they make some of the best head units, but they go cheap on there tubing, clamps, hoses, etc...... I found the kit to be maintenance intensive and problematic.
I have a D1SC ProCharger on my '68 'Vette for 3 years now. Other than 1 belt shredding an edge (my fault) it has been completely trouble free. I have not blown a hose or clamp yet, at approx. 20 lbs of boost. ProCharging a C-3 is a packaging nightmare. I would love the challenge of building a twin turbo STS C-3 'Vette!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I would look into the STS. I think it would meet your power needs and would be a lot less obvious than a procharger.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

The kit for the STS rear mount isn't designed for your C3 chassis so you will have to redo all of the tubing. I think either way the plumbing is going to be a nightmare for you so don't base your decision on that. Both will make about the same peak horsepower given the same amount of boost. The real difference is how the boost comes on. With the Procharger, boost will come on gradually. Meaning that at light throttle the car will drive like it does now. But get the RPMS up where it starts making boost and the car will just pull harder the higher you go. With the turbo you are going to have that power right down low so you are going to have to get used to it. You rode in Adam's car. Now just imagine that same type of top end power but with even more at the mid RPM range.

I've had the Vortech on the Cobra for 5 1/2 years now and I just installed the third belt. I actually installed it 2 weeks ago and the only reason was because it was starting to slip. The Vortech kit also comes with the cheap clamps but like Big G, I hven't had any issue with them on the Cobra. However, I'm running the stock 3.33 inch pulley and I only make 11-12 psi.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Thanks for the info. The STS would be a lil' more special too I guess. I'd have to be concerned with hardening some other bits. I have the Aluminum Dana 44 which has held up fine to my driving so far, but I'm only at 360 ft lbs peak torque. Maybe I'll have to make a trip out to Austin some day so Big G can have a challenge (Those kit's ain't cheap though.)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #7

http://www.mtiracing.com/camaro-supercharger.html

Not sure if its carb legal
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
Hell I didn't even know one would fit under there at all. Interesting. I kinda prefer the sound of a Roots/TS supercharger to the STS Turbo. Packaging would be about 1,000 times easier too. Then again, with a little engine work as it is I could be well over 400 to the wheels and a couple modds drops me below 3,000 lbs (full wet), and golly, that's purty good for a street car. (But more is always more )

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
I have a D1SC ProCharger on my '68 'Vette for 3 years now. Other than 1 belt shredding an edge (my fault) it has been completely trouble free. I have not blown a hose or clamp yet, at approx. 20 lbs of boost. ProCharging a C-3 is a packaging nightmare. I would love the challenge of building a twin turbo STS C-3 'Vette!
x2

Procharger will be the easiest. You can have it running after a weekend.

Turbos would be cool, that was your original idea. Adding to the cool factor. Plus you'll get all those stupid looks when you tell people you have a twin turbo Vette, like you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Sort of like when I tell people I have 6-700hp, they give me this looks like... uh huh, sure you do. Cough cough 185!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

STS is involved with a test of a rear mount turbo system for a C3. Maybe you'd want to contact them.

The issue is keeping it all under the stock hood. If you don't care about that, should be easy.