Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Ok kids, I got $250 to spend on the Snake. Aaron has been slammed with work and starting his biz so rather than wait to buy body materials, I was thinking maybe button up the top, which means HGs and head bolts . Please advise on best choices here.
Multi layered steel gaskets. I went with Cometic. And definitely ARP for the hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #172
pain's fun, hit me again

Yep, so did i. And are about 90-130 each depending. I would still do body stuff.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #173
I, Vettezuki

Guy, I'd like to order the HG and fasteners from Ed's so that hopefully you can just bring them with you when coming to Nick's on the 14th. But I'm not positive what the correct choices are. Please advise.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #174
Super Moderator

Definitely MLS and ARP, Ive reused my HGs and bolts 3 or 4 times now... still good No sign of bolt stretching and I just keep cleaning and spraying the HGs with copper spray.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #175
Super Moderator

August, Im coming beginning of August to finish the body and do a coat of primer to reveal whats left to be done.

And I dont think you need to spend any money on body stuff Ben. We'll be fine till its ready for paint. Which is the very very last thing to be done
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #176
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Guy, I'd like to order the HG and fasteners from Ed's so that hopefully you can just bring them with you when coming to Nick's on the 14th. But I'm not positive what the correct choices are. Please advise.
1133 is the part number for the head gaskets. Ed's doesnt sell ARP, King Bolt does but they mark it up pretty badly. I do have a set of extra ARP head bolts for a 302 I was originally going to give Ron, but he said he wasnt gonna use them. Studs are the best bet for any forced induction. I can get a set of pro-comp head studs for around $50 through Pacific Engine. Identical quality and I've used them on all my engines and so has Shawn.

BTW i'm not sure i'll be at Nicks on the 14th being that's the day of my interview. However i'll be in Tustin on thursday.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #177
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
1133 is the part number for the head gaskets. Ed's doesnt sell ARP, King Bolt does but they mark it up pretty badly. I do have a set of extra ARP head bolts for a 302 I was originally going to give Ron, but he said he wasnt gonna use them. Studs are the best bet for any forced induction. I can get a set of pro-comp head studs for around $50 through Pacific Engine. Identical quality and I've used them on all my engines and so has Shawn.

BTW i'm not sure i'll be at Nicks on the 14th being that's the day of my interview. However i'll be in Tustin on thursday.

If you don't mind, get whatever you think is best from Ed's and Pacific Engines, tell me what it all costs and I'll PayPal you, or whatever you prefer. You can get them to me at some point in the future. Not exactly an emergency just want to keep some movement, however minimal.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #178
Super Moderator

Whats wrong with the bolts/ head gaskets the motor had? And head studs are neat, but I see no rationalization for arguing that theyre stronger. If anything the bolts would be stronger, less chance theyll break off at the head.

Studs are novel, and not the best use of an additional $60 when building on a budget.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #179
I, Vettezuki

It's bit hazy now, but I don't think I ever had them. The block and the heads may have been separate from the git go.

The Lemon Fox is the build it with duct tape car, the Snake is on a budget, but not that much of a budget, so if $50 +- for something that offers definite reliability increase is worthwhile.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #180
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Studs are novel, and not the best use of an additional $60 when building on a budget.
Uhm what? Tell that to all the diesel dudes who need studs because of boost. Studs apply torque more evenly to the head, allow for greater torque ratings when installing. Torque rating for bolts are completely different for that of studs. A torque wrench rates torque based off resistance right? Well a bolt stretches on a vertical and horizontal plane where a stud is only vertical.

Stopping the world!