Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Why Don't Americans Make a Supercar?

Sure we have some great cars and a great automotive history. But we don't make a Ferrari, Bugatti, etc.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

S7, SSC Ultimate Areo, Ford GT, ZR1, Devon GTX, Rossio Q1, are all supercars in my book, all 100% american
Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Internet Tough Guy

Weak attemp at Ben.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
S7, SSC Ultimate Areo, Ford GT, ZR1, Devon GTX, Rossio Q1, are all supercars in my book, all 100% american
A supercar is not merely a fast car, or even a great handling fast car. It has to have some X factor, be a total package, and be recognizable as such. I'm just dicking around with something that's not quantifiable.

The only car I'd give a clear yes to in that list is the GT and maybe SC, neither of which are even made any longer. They were also one offs. I would have included the Viper as a good candidate, but that's coming to end of life as well, and is a single model. The ZR1 is clearly a performance supercar, but doesn't have nearly the cache as a supercar, most people will just think of it as a really fast Corvette. If someone said they'd give you a ZR1 or F458, I bet something like %99 will take the Ferrari. I would, and I love Corvettes.

Run the remaining list past even your car buddies and I bet you they'll be like, "what, huh." How many SSC Aeros have even been sold? Does the Devon GTX even exist yet? The Rossion, which I've never seen on the road, is more like a Kit car, and for that matter, is basically a Noble (British).

Now throw in addition to the super brand name European supercars, makers like Gumpert, great tuning houses like AMG and Brabus, and new comers to genuine hypercars like Zonda and Koneggsegg.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Clearly the S7 is a supercar by all means, its fast, has a very reputable x-factor(look into whats required when purchasing one) As far as it goes doesnt get more American than something assembled 100% by hand here in california

Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

I love Supercars. I bet the USA could produce and successfully market one. That said, I find it more valuable (and impressive) to produce a "near supercar" like the ZR-1 and it's little brother, the Z-O6. The performance/costs ratio is fantastic.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Clearly the S7 is a supercar by all means, its fast, has a very reputable x-factor(look into whats required when purchasing one) As far as it goes doesnt get more American than something assembled 100% by hand here in california
I'll give you the S7. They're also admired and raced in Europe, but I don't think ever driven on the streets. They're pretty close to a road going race car. Every review I've ever read is that they are punishing and difficult to drive. They're also not made anymore.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'll give you the S7. They're also admired and raced in Europe, but I don't think ever driven on the streets. They're pretty close to a road going race car. Every review I've ever read is that they are punishing and difficult to drive. They're also not made anymore.
Ive seen 2 in my life driving around
and they still are being made, just a new look and everything
http://newcarproduct.com/tag/2011-saleen-s7-photos/
Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

oh and who can forget the GTX1
Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
I love Supercars. I bet the USA could produce and successfully market one.
Technically capable, absolutely. Mareting is much harder. It takes a long time to establish a brand image.

Quote:
That said, I find it more valuable (and impressive) to produce a "near supercar" like the ZR-1 and it's little brother, the Z-O6. The performance/costs ratio is fantastic.
And that's kind of the difference between Americans and Europeans. Americans tend to focus on accessible, functional, performance. The Europeans tend to be into a bit more Aristocratic engineering, for lack of a better definition.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)