Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #31
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
That's what I mean. Without sounding like a complete a$$hole, I've raced many STis and Evos at the track. The pull hard out of the hole then I walk right on by. Simply my engine continues to do more work (HP) where these motors flatten out fast. I'm talking about stock or moderately modded ones up to about your level. Beasts are beasts, different story.

Exactly. The HP would go up a lot more if the torque were more stable. This is a big part of the design in a turbo car, depending on application, where it will spend most of it's time (rev vs. boost), etc.

My point is that I think your car may have a slight breathing problem for the torque to fall off quite that rapidly. Probably a turbo size/effeciency issue. I've seen similar things on stock GX-P turbo pulls. But I've also seen turbos that go to high torque and stay there, which means a more linear HP curve up to red line.

Let me ping our resident turbo guru.
Concur, there is an intake restriction somewhere. Maybe you just need to turbo up. STI's have that turbulencevalve/resitictor that is often removed.

They are quick off the line because the owners rape their drivetrains not because of low end torque.

Ben when did you go with the heads and cam?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Concur, there is an intake restriction somewhere. Maybe you just need to turbo up. STI's have that turbulencevalve/resitictor that is often removed.

They are quick off the line because the owners rape their drivetrains not because of low end torque.

The engine he bought already had it done. I believe they are 4.8L truck heads that are milled and a smog legal 114lsa cam, but I could be wrong
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #33
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
The engine he bought already had it done. I believe they are 4.8L truck heads that are milled and a smog legal 114lsa cam, but I could be wrong
You are correct sir. It's how I bought it:
Heads Milled & Ported (heavily), estimated 11:1 CR (methinks could be a bit higher)
CAM = 224/224 114LSA

390WHP on mild pump gas tune. Headers and 93-95 octane tune should put me well into the 400s

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #34

Quote:

intake restriction is freed up, i have turbo inlet pipe to my cold air intake. and YES, bigger turbo would be better than STOCK of course. STi's do TGV deletes and the flow is optimized. We are quick off the line PERIOD...doesnt matter if we rape our drivetrains or not. Why do you think the rally cars have 300whp but 500tq????

FAQ.

STI 6 speed TRANSMISSIONS = NEARLY BULLETPROOF.
WRX 5 Speed = if modded, worry...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonSleeps View Post
intake restriction is freed up, i have turbo inlet pipe to my cold air intake. and YES, bigger turbo would be better than STOCK of course. STi's do TGV deletes and the flow is optimized. We are quick off the line PERIOD...doesnt matter if we rape our drivetrains or not. Why do you think the rally cars have 300whp but 500tq????

FAQ.

STI 6 speed TRANSMISSIONS = NEARLY BULLETPROOF.
WRX 5 Speed = if modded, worry...

WRXwagon, not trying to spin you up, but the REAL ralley cars make 500ftlbs with only 300hp because they have an intake restrictor that is mandated.
HP= torque X RPM / 5250.

STIs have super long intake runners which while increase low end torque will cause flow restrictions up top, the same can be said about the baby turbo.

Bulletproof or being quick off the line are both matters of opionion and relative. STI based on my expierences and observations are niether.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #36
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
WRXwagon, not trying to spin you up, but the REAL ralley cars make 500ftlbs with only 300hp because they have an intake restrictor that is mandated.
HP= torque X RPM / 5250.

STIs have super long intake runners which while increase low end torque will cause flow restrictions up top, the same can be said about the baby turbo.

Bulletproof or being quick off the line are both matters of opionion and relative. STI based on my expierences and observations are niether.

You speak truth to power. However, to my knowledge, there is a HUGE difference in how tough the JDM trans vs. USDM so maybe that's what he means.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #37

Quote:
HP= torque X RPM / 5250.

hahah are you serious??? its all in the tune, we do not have only 300whp and 500Tq because of mechanical reasons on the RALLY cars, RALLY cars are tuned accordingly using certain mechanics and mods that arent on roadrace cars, add/pull timing, etc etc. your intake restrictor makes no sense if your talking about subarus in general. Rally cars maybe. NOW, if you read the other posts, our subarus have restrictive HEADS which hurts our cars, YES. my intake to turbo inlet to turbo is as free flowing as it gets with a intake. ALSO our cars have MAF sensor on our intake to read the air flow. Our cars can take in air as much as we want, its called tuner/tuning.............AFR?? more fuel, less air. less air, more fuel. etc etc...

not to burst your bubble, your statement above is totally incorrect, what is the point in having a "rally" car having 500whp in a back canyon dirt road where you cant even open up all that hp?????? As a rally cars tq is needed to pull out of those sharp turns and whatnot, you do not speak of the truth. Intake Restriction???? explain alittle more cause im totally confused. Intake to Turbo Inlet to Turbo.

JDM STI TRANNY OR USDM STI TRANNY OR NOT.

Being bullet proof or being fast off the line is not an opinion, its a fact my friend

Obviously you have no knowledge in the history of STI 6 speeds. and what it can and cant do.

Thats why so many people on NASIOC, IWSTI, CLUBWRX forums consider PPG gears and STi 6 speed transmissions to be upgrades for people who run 400tq or more . Thats why they have fully prepped Roadrace cars with STOCK 6 speeds...

if you had experiences where the 6 speed has failed, the DRIVER DEFINITELY FAILED, not the tranny.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #38
I, Vettezuki

I don't know about BADDASS's personal experience, BUT:

Don't know what current (last year's) rally rules are but they have had to run various intake restrictors (34mm - 40mm) for years. The express purpose is limiting power. Same as restrictor plates on NASCAR, rev limits on F1, etc.

Don't know about your trans, but I have a friend at work who had a moderately built STi. He broke a couple transmissions. What years are you referring to as bullet proof? Maybe there was a design change at some point in recent history.

As far as the engineering of engine building, right down to the physics of combustion, thermal efficiencies, etc., I don't think there's anyone here that knows more than BADDASS.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #39

^ i don't disagree at all. im sure he is filled with knowledge and im open to being taught some lesson

As far as the STi Trans.

Nearly Bulletproof was my statement. Indeed transmissions can go, but from the history and beatdown that these trannys have had on roadrace to rally to any other events, these trannys do no give out.

Even after LC and FFS on drag strips, time after time, these trannys do not go...Axles break before tranny.

5 speeds have nothing to do with the sti tranny. 5 speeds are anti torque, and will have a tendency to break a gear with the right amount of tq.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #40
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonSleeps View Post
^ i don't disagree at all. im sure he is filled with knowledge and im open to being taught some lesson

As far as the STi Trans.

Nearly Bulletproof was my statement. Indeed transmissions can go, but from the history and beatdown that these trannys have had on roadrace to rally to any other events, these trannys do no give out.

Even after LC and FFS on drag strips, time after time, these trannys do not go...Axles break before tranny.

5 speeds have nothing to do with the sti tranny. 5 speeds are anti torque, and will have a tendency to break a gear with the right amount of tq.
Ok now we're getting somewhere.

5 speed vs. 6 speed

You're saying 6 speed is the much tougher one. I'm assuming you mean 6 speed manual.

- This is a Subie trans right?
- From when was it stock (i.e., when did it replace the 5 speed).
- What are PPG gears? Are they stock or aftermarket gears that go into the Subie trans?

I'm pretty sure my colleagues trans that he broke a couple times was a 5 speed, but I'm not sure. It was a few years ago.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)