Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Got a f**kin ticket today.

I was passing a school bus, on the other side of the road, which is divided by a solid double yellow line, doing the speed limit. And I get pulled over. The bus had its flashers on which is effectively a stop sign. The law states that it applies to cars going in both directions, unless on a divided highway.

Highway is defined as... a street. But there's no definition for divided highway. If I could find code that claims that a double yellow is in effect a "division" of the highway, or something that refers to such a highway as a divided highway, then I could fight this ticket.

To make it worse, I was coming around a corner, and didn't have the time to stop in a nice and easy manner even if the thought had crossed my mind. Which it wouldn't and didn't. Also, to my right... was a road barrier, no sidewalk, no possibility of little munchkins darting out, a road barrier, then a hill.

When did cops become harassers of good honest citizens as opposed to servants of the citizens, to protect and serve us? How the hell is driving next to a road barrier at 30 mph 50 feet away from a parked bus on the other side of the road and the other side of a solid double yellow a threat to anyone's safety? I wish I could have 10 mins alone with that f*ck cop, man to man, no badge. I would enjoy bashing his face in. What a pathetic waste of a person who obviously has nothing better to do, no real police work to do. I think I know where we should be making some budget cuts.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

As soon as he handed me the ticket I drove away, while he was talking. I have plenty of respect for real cops. But not tubby meter maids that wear police uniforms.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Super Moderator

For those of you who live near Eldorado, this would have been like driving North on Valencia towards Bastanchury if it were divided with a double yellow, while a school bus is parked on the other side of the road in front of the school. Then getting a stop sign violation. Is it just me or is that ridiculous?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I was passing a school bus, on the other side of the road, which is divided by a solid double yellow line, doing the speed limit. And I get pulled over. The bus had its flashers on which is effectively a stop sign. The law states that it applies to cars going in both directions, unless on a divided highway.
So you think you were on a divided highway, which the law doesn't clearly define. I so want to show up with you to court.

Quote:
To make it worse, I was coming around a corner, and didn't have the time to stop in a nice and easy manner even if the thought had crossed my mind. Which it wouldn't and didn't. Also, to my right... was a road barrier, no sidewalk, no possibility of little munchkins darting out, a road barrier, then a hill.
Doesn't matter. You're thinking. The book tells them they don't have to think. It's about the children.

Quote:
When did cops become harassers of good honest citizens as opposed to servants of the citizens, to protect and serve us?
We're all just people at the end of the day. Some good, some not so good.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Oh, in case you missed it. No government office has any money. Law Enforcement has a a revenue stream that can be throttled . . . you go ahead and put two and two together.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Oh, in case you missed it. No government office has any money. Law Enforcement has a a revenue stream that can be throttled . . . you go ahead and put two and two together.
So it's become a random road tax as opposed to a public safety device.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
So it's become a random road tax as opposed to a public safety device.
You seem surprised. . .

I was at traffic school not long ago. (Deservedly, sorta.) I did some esoteric calculations for the county making some fairly conservative assumptions based on the number of people I saw at traffic school. I came up with something like several hundred million dollars for Orange County per year. That goes to the county and cities. You don't think they take that as a random income do you?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

Fight it. Take pictures of the area and go to court and fight it. It seems to me your got harrassed by a "Power Trip" cop.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Quote:

Highway is defined as... a street. But there's no definition for divided highway. If I could find code that claims that a double yellow is in effect a "division" of the highway, or something that refers to such a highway as a divided highway, then I could fight this ticket.

When did cops become harassers of good honest citizens as opposed to servants of the citizens, to protect and serve us? How the hell is driving next to a road barrier at 30 mph 50 feet away from a parked bus on the other side of the road and the other side of a solid double yellow a threat to anyone's safety? I wish I could have 10 mins alone with that f*ck cop, man to man, no badge. I would enjoy bashing his face in. What a pathetic waste of a person who obviously has nothing better to do, no real police work to do. I think I know where we should be making some budget cuts.
Wow, someone else I know just got the same ticket. Don't know his outcome yet.

This was in NY, around Poughkeepsie.

This is a big ticket also. Good luck.

Here's my advice. I just got off on a ticket 92 in a 55. Now, I haven't had a ticket since 1992 so that weighed heavily in my favor.

Go to traffic court. There are "lawyers" and there are LAWYERS. You will recognize which is the "local boy" and who has the best relationship with the court. HIRE HIM.

I went from 6 month suspension, yes six month suspension for 1 ticket in 17 years, and $1000 in fines to paying the lawyer $600.

FIND THE RIGHT LAWYER and it could completely change the outcome.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #10

Here is the outake from Ca vehicle code.
"Divided Highways
21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway."
So if the double-double yellow lines are more than two feet apart it is a divided hwy. Single double yellow or double-double less than 2 feet wide and you are screwed.
This law was put into effect to protect you. Do you know how much damage a small child could do to your car? That would suck !!