Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Default Sandblasting prep for paint work

Hello,

I am finally starting my paint work on my Honda Hawk GT. I plan on painting it John Deere Blitz Black. Does anyone know of a local sandblasting shop that can do my tank and various other pieces? Thanks.

Engine
- APS SR-30 Turbo
- Titek Bellmouth catted downpipe
- Borla Catback
- Boost Cooler Methanol Injection with VCS-25 controller
- GM Boost control solenoid
- Open Source tuned

Chassis
-Perrin Anti-lift kit
-22mm SPT rear swaybar
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I *think* there's one off the 91 near State College. I remember seeing their sign from the freeway. It'll be Media Blasting, sand blasting is too harsh.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

When I had the Chevelle down they used walnut shells to blast it. They said it doesn't get hot and warp the metal like the sand does.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
When I had the Chevelle down they used walnut shells to blast it. They said it doesn't get hot and warp the metal like the sand does.
I think that's considered best, but it's also the most expensive. Another media commonly used is "star media" or something like that which works well, but doesn't get hot or pit the metal.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #5

Cool. Thanks. I will look and see what I find about it. Here is another question. Have any of you guys dealt with the John Deere Blitz Black paint? I know alot of Rat Rod guys use it to get that "primered matte black" look with an actual painted finish that will stand up to use and abuse. I plan on spraying it using a HVLP spray gun. Now I know that matte finish paint jobs are very specific in terms of care, but I'm hoping this will hold up pretty well. John Deere uses it to paint the frames of tractors. LOL

Engine
- APS SR-30 Turbo
- Titek Bellmouth catted downpipe
- Borla Catback
- Boost Cooler Methanol Injection with VCS-25 controller
- GM Boost control solenoid
- Open Source tuned

Chassis
-Perrin Anti-lift kit
-22mm SPT rear swaybar
Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by axotlprogeny View Post
Cool. Thanks. I will look and see what I find about it. Here is another question. Have any of you guys dealt with the John Deere Blitz Black paint? I know alot of Rat Rod guys use it to get that "primered matte black" look with an actual painted finish that will stand up to use and abuse. I plan on spraying it using a HVLP spray gun. Now I know that matte finish paint jobs are very specific in terms of care, but I'm hoping this will hold up pretty well. John Deere uses it to paint the frames of tractors. LOL
I don't know Jack about it, but I didn't know it was coming from JD.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)