Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I had 1K watts in the Vette once upon a time. Took it out for the weight, stuck it in my Neon. It's kind of funny to hear my Neon go boom boom, I really only turn it up to joke around.
Weight? Who cares about weight? I have two amps, three monitors (my daughters have to be able to watch Star Wars on trips) and a sub. One of the amps is putting 300 watts rms to a 10 sub the other is putting out 280 rms to the front and rear speakers and this is the way I drag race it.

Your Vette is a lot lighter than my Cobra is. I want here your stereo bumping the next time you take your car to the track.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Weight? Who cares about weight? I have two amps, three monitors (my daughters have to be able to watch Star Wars on trips) and a sub. One of the amps is putting 300 watts rms to a 10 sub the other is putting out 280 rms to the front and rear speakers and this is the way I drag race it.

Your Vette is a lot lighter than my Cobra is. I want here your stereo bumping the next time you take your car to the track.
Who cares about weight? It's all about power to weight ratio. Ever heard of a Lotus Elise? The car with a Celica engine that can own a Viper.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Who cares about weight? It's all about power to weight ratio. Ever heard of a Lotus Elise? The car with a Celica engine that can own a Viper.
Actually, a car with the same power to weight ratio but lower total weight will almost always out perform a car with the greater weight. This is why cars with relatively low power to weight (like the Elise) will eat up much more powerful cars in relative terms; the simply can carry far more speed through corners. Of course there is a lot to do with the balance of the chasis. But more weight means more inertia, means greater resistance to change in direction. This is why I think if the next generation Vette has a smaller engine with less power, but comes in at say 2,400 lbs with the same total power:weight as the current Vette, it be a major improvement.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Are you planning on only racing your Vette? If so, then I can see worrying about the extra 50 pounds in stereo equipment. My Cobra is a daily driver so I don't care about the weight. Besides it handles really well even with the extra weight.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Are you planning on only racing your Vette? If so, then I can see worrying about the extra 50 pounds in stereo equipment. My Cobra is a daily driver so I don't care about the weight. Besides it handles really well even with the extra weight.
Yeah, 50lbs of sprung weight (unsprung is quite different) ain't shit in a powerful car, unless you're talking *real* racing.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
It ain't the 60lbs I saved from the Sub/ box or the 5 lbs from the amp, or the 10lbs from the rear speakers. It's the 60lbs here, the 40lbs there, the 2 lbs over here, the 13lbs out back, the 120lbs up there... it all adds up! If you want to lose the weight, trim the fat off of every corner.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
It ain't the 60lbs I saved from the Sub/ box or the 5 lbs from the amp, or the 10lbs from the rear speakers. It's the 60lbs here, the 40lbs there, the 2 lbs over here, the 13lbs out back, the 120lbs up there... it all adds up! If you want to lose the weight, trim the fat off of every corner.
Maybe you should quit working out then because muscle weighs more then fat does.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you should quit working out then because muscle weighs more then fat does.
Or just find a cute little 90lb girlfriend that knows how to shift. I can use her as my jockey at the track. Haha. but seriously, I'd never let a girl drive my car.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
Neanderthal

Quote:
Or just find a cute little 90lb girlfriend that knows how to shift. I can use her as my jockey at the track. Haha. but seriously, I'd never let a girl drive my car.
Back in 1974 my girlfriend was 110 lbs. She could power shift ALMOST as good as I could. We made a lot of money with her driving. I let her go cruising all the time with her sister. The stories she used to come back with were great.

She never broke the car.

When she took the Vette, she left me a 71 Pinto to drive.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Back in 1974 my girlfriend was 110 lbs. She could power shift ALMOST as good as I could. We made a lot of money with her driving. I let her go cruising all the time with her sister. The stories she used to come back with were great.

She never broke the car.

When she took the Vette, she left me a 71 Pinto to drive.
I actually raced my current girlfriend the night we met