Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #221
Fast & Filthy

Time for an update. I replaced the pinion bearings but the rear gears still hums on the coast side. When I did that I also found that it needed new wheel bearings so I replaced those at the same time. The gears looked good so I'm not concerned about the little bit of noise.

Now on to the front diff. Back when I had the issue with the trans I also had a light vibration in the steering. I figured that it was either caused by the hubs or carrier/pinion bearings. So I pulled the axles and installed just the outer stubs and the vibration went away. I then picked up new carrier bearings and took the carrier out to replace them but the old bearings looked good. That's when I discovered the pinion had 3 (out of 9) chipped teeth.

I'd left the carrier out of the front and was driving it that way until I had the cash to buy the new ring and pinion but one day Phil called and asked if I'd fixed the front end yet. He wanted to go wheeling in his new 2007 Land Cruiser FJ100 but wanted me to come along just in case. I reinstalled the carrier so I could go with him but we ended up not going. So now that it's back in I have a light vibration in the front end. I should be able to buy the new ring and pinion after the holidays but for now it's at least drivable. Below 60 mph it doesn't vibrate at all, you can only feel it above that so anytime I drive on the freeway it's there.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #222
Fast & Filthy

Update: I got tired of the vibration a long time ago so I pulled the axles shortly after I installed them. I was finally able to pick up a new ring and pinion so I'll probably install them this Saturday if we don't have anything else going on. It'll be nice to be able to go four wheeling again.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #223
Fast & Filthy

Spent all day today setting p the new Motive ring and pinion in the Dana 30. I hate that they use shims instead of crush sleeve. Anyways, I know Nordy had issues with the Motive gears in his car but mine are perfectly quiet. I found that they prerun them and stamp the install depth on the pinion gear. Mine said the depth was 2.261 and I ended up at 2.256 which was as close as I could get with the shims I had. I also set the bearing preload at 23 in/lbs and the backlash at .009. Here's why the old one was causing a vibration. It broke another tooth from the last time I looked at it.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #224
I, Vettezuki

Ouch. Yeah, that'll do it.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)