Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
FWD = FAIL

I have my heads of now lets do port class lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypal View Post
I have my heads of now lets do port class lol.
I believe Glenn is going to do one. I've actually ported heads before. I ported a set of cast iron SBC and a set of cast iron BBC oval ports. These however are Edelbrock Performer RPM 6055 that I paid $2500 and are aluminum so I don't want to mess them up. The shap of the ports are pretty good as cast and only need a little porting. The aluminum is easier to remove than the cast iron was too so it's going a lot fast. I has taken me about two hours to complete one cylinder. I just hope I do a good enough job to drop 2 tenths or so so that I can get into the 9's.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I believe Glenn is going to do one. I've actually ported heads before. I ported a set of cast iron SBC and a set of cast iron BBC oval ports. These however are Edelbrock Performer RPM 6055 that I paid $2500 and are aluminum so I don't want to mess them up. The shap of the ports are pretty good as cast and only need a little porting. The aluminum is easier to remove than the cast iron was too so it's going a lot fast. I has taken me about two hours to complete one cylinder. I just hope I do a good enough job to drop 2 tenths or so so that I can get into the 9's.
Yes, the basic design of the ports is very good. What you are doing is going to help. But, becareful here---there is not a lot of room for error. I just don't know if you are going to get 2 tenths with what you are doing. I'd have to see these heads in person. We actually carry the heads here, but don't have any in stock.

If you guys want the porting class, I'm ready anytime. I've talked to Sean and Ben about this. Everyone will learn something worth while.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Yes, the basic design of the ports is very good. What you are doing is going to help. But, becareful here---there is not a lot of room for error. I just don't know if you are going to get 2 tenths with what you are doing. I'd have to see these heads in person. We actually carry the heads here, but don't have any in stock.

If you guys want the porting class, I'm ready anytime. I've talked to Sean and Ben about this. Everyone will learn something worth while.
I know it's hard to tell from the pictures but here are what I did. You can also see larger images if you go to my photo album.

In this picture I circled the area where I widened the runner. I only did the roof and walls.

I also took some metal off of this area as you can see in the next 3.

If you compare this one to the stock one below you can see how I reshaped it to enlarge it a little.

The stock port.

If you look at the sides of the combustion chambers you can see where I unshrouded them a little.

Stock.

Here you can see that I removed a little from the short side on the intake.

Stock.

Here is where I smoothed the intake runner. I only went in about an inch and consentrated on the roof and walls.

Stock.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I know it's hard to tell from the pictures but here are what I did. You can also see larger images if you go to my photo album.

In this picture I circled the area where I widened the runner. I only did the roof and walls.

I also took some metal off of this area as you can see in the next 3.

If you compare this one to the stock one below you can see how I reshaped it to enlarge it a little.

The stock port.

If you look at the sides of the combustion chambers you can see where I unshrouded them a little.

Stock.

Here you can see that I removed a little from the short side on the intake.

Stock.

Here is where I smoothed the intake runner. I only went in about an inch and consentrated on the roof and walls.

Stock.
You are doing some good here. It's just the ports are pretty good already. You might want to shorten the valve guide a little also, but not too much.

Just a little side note here; I (myself) like to have the runners/port on the intake about 1/16 to 1/32 larger than the port/runners on the intake. Right where the two come together. I really helps with back pulse.

We need to do the porting class soon.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
You are doing some good here. It's just the ports are pretty good already. You might want to shorten the valve guide a little also, but not too much.

Just a little side note here; I (myself) like to have the runners/port on the intake about 1/16 to 1/32 larger than the port/runners on the intake. Right where the two come together. I really helps with back pulse.

We need to do the porting class soon.

I haven't checked the ports on the intake manifold yet but I'm going to when I'm done with the heads. I'm running a Victor Jr and if I remember correctly from when I installed it they were just about the same size as the ports on the heads.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
Power's off.

Quote:
Polish in not really needed. It's a waste of time on a street driven or race engine that is not torn down on a regular basis. A good smoothing of the exhaust ports is all that is really needed. You never want to polish the intake runner of a carb engine. When I do the Port Class for you guys I will explain all that.
Come on Glen. You can polish both, then use a flapper to give the intakes a "satin finish." Same thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Come on Glen. You can polish both, then use a flapper to give the intakes a "satin finish." Same thing.
Sure, what ever you say.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
Power's off.

Quote:
Sure, what ever you say.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
That hurt.