Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I am going back to Cali. I am currently in Connecticut. I sold my trailer and plan on trailering the vette back in June. I found a awesome 2008 F-250 King ranch with 18K for $40K. It has a beautiful interior and has the HO diesel with 4x4. I would trade in my truck and drop like $4K and finance the rest.
Well if that doesn't work out, I'm here for you.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
I am going back to Cali. I am currently in Connecticut. I sold my trailer and plan on trailering the vette back in June. I found a awesome 2008 F-250 King ranch with 18K for $40K. It has a beautiful interior and has the HO diesel with 4x4. I would trade in my truck and drop like $4K and finance the rest.
If I were you I would look into all the engine and trans. problems Ford is having with the 6.2L and 6.4L diesel engines. Ford has had a tough time with diesel engines. The 7.3L Power Stroke worked great and from there it went down hill. I have a couple friends that work for Ford and they tell me that the 6.4L is having more trouble than the 6.0L did. I guess they are coming out with a new engine and trans. again. I love the body style and straight axle though.The Dodge Cummins diesel is a great engine and the Duramax is also a great engine but it got much better after 06. The Chevrolet will drive and feel more smooth, the others drive more like a heavy truck. We have very little problems with the newer Duramax engines and almost no problems with the Allison trans. If I were going to buy a diesel I would buy a low milege 07 old body style Duramax. I am not a big fan of Chevrolets new truck body(late 07 and up), they are still a great truck if you like the body style. There are advantages to the new body style Duramax trucks such as factory back up cameras and media systems and Oh yea, lets not forget about 660ft-lbs torque. If you plan on this truck for an everyday driver you will more than likely want a quiet engine and a smooth ride. If you don't mind alot of engine noise and a heavy truck feel the Dodge is also a great truck. Thats my biased input.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
If I were you I would look into all the engine and trans. problems Ford is having with the 6.2L and 6.4L diesel engines. Ford has had a tough time with diesel engines. The 7.3L Power Stroke worked great and from there it went down hill. I have a couple friends that work for Ford and they tell me that the 6.4L is having more trouble than the 6.0L did. I guess they are coming out with a new engine and trans. again. I love the body style and straight axle though.The Dodge Cummins diesel is a great engine and the Duramax is also a great engine but it got much better after 06. The Chevrolet will drive and feel more smooth, the others drive more like a heavy truck. We have very little problems with the newer Duramax engines and almost no problems with the Allison trans. If I were going to buy a diesel I would buy a low milege 07 old body style Duramax. I am not a big fan of Chevrolets new truck body(late 07 and up), they are still a great truck if you like the body style. There are advantages to the new body style Duramax trucks such as factory back up cameras and media systems and Oh yea, lets not forget about 660ft-lbs torque. If you plan on this truck for an everyday driver you will more than likely want a quiet engine and a smooth ride. If you don't mind alot of engine noise and a heavy truck feel the Dodge is also a great truck. Thats my biased input.

Although thats kinda what I already said. Id go with the Duramax for the daily driver for ride quality alone its worth the extra cash. If you want to try one out ill lend you mine for the day come to Cali and tow something with it you will never look back.

Chuck
Old 04-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I've been in both, Duramax FTW. I'd rather be Duramaxin than Strokin... That's doesn't work aswell without Cummins.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
It's too bad the Cummins in the Dodge didn't get the Allison. One of the earlier problems was the transmissions, which came from gas trucks wouldn't hold up over time. I think that's been solved and they're good, just not quite as heavy-duty as the Allison. Also, I can attest to the industrial nature of the Dodge Cummins trucks. It is pretty damned loud, you know you're driving a diesel. But like I said, those engines are good for hundreds of thousands of miles of real use.

I'd probably go Duramax Chevy too if I were in your shoes.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

People make super trucks out of the Cummins motor Allison trans and fords body and drive train makes a loud rough tough truck.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's too bad the Cummins in the Dodge didn't get the Allison. One of the earlier problems was the transmissions, which came from gas trucks wouldn't hold up over time. I think that's been solved and they're good, just not quite as heavy-duty as the Allison. Also, I can attest to the industrial nature of the Dodge Cummins trucks. It is pretty damned loud, you know you're driving a diesel. But like I said, those engines are good for hundreds of thousands of miles of real use.

I'd probably go Duramax Chevy too if I were in your shoes.
When I worked for Mark Christopher Chevrolet we had an engineer from D-MAX out to look at an engine problem I had found. We were looking at a Duramax that I had the pistons out of, I was commenting on the size of the crankshaft journals and how robuste the internals of the motor were. He told me that they had designed the engine to run 1,000,000 miles. i have seen several including our parts truck with over 500,000 on them. Thats with power up devices out of the picture.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
Internet Tough Guy

Thanks for all the good info guys. I will see where I end up. My buddy told me the same thing about the Ford diesels. He sells used cars on e-bay s($2m gross annual) so he knows his shit. He told me my truck goes for $6.5K (my truck has been paid off for years) at dealer wholesale auction and that ford is going for $35K. So $38k is what he would let that truck go for. WIth that said, I could give them my truck plus cash and finance ~$30K out the door with taxes and tags.

I have to see what is going on with everything in my life. I have a lot of significant purchases all happening at the same time. Basically, I'm buying a condo downtown SD, a new trailer, and maybe a new truck around the same time. I was silly enough to think that I would be off of Ramon noodles after paying the vette motor.

The good thing is that EVERYTHING is cheap right now and I have cash.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Awesome! The blue oval is kicking A$$ and taking names right now! I like this. Those King Ranches are loaded trucks and nice as hell.

2008 6.4L Power Stroke 350@3,000 (hp) & 650@2,000 (ft/lb)

Oh Yeah!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Leedom, toting a Ford? No.