Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Default Thinking of selling the Z06 - talk me out of it!

Like the title says, thinking of selling the Z06. Dont get me wrong, absolutely love this car, just something about it, not sure. I feel like its going to be hard to make it "mine". Any C5 cosmetic mods are ugly, and if i have a Z06 thats real quick around a track so what, they all are. Guess Id rather have a car that I made very capable, than one that just is. Maybe id change my mind once i start putting some go-fast goodies on it, but I dont want to head down that road if im going to change my mind.

Been feeling the itch to do an SN95 mustang road race car, coilovers/Tubular K member, and an 03 cobra IRS, 393 windsor, T56. something like that. Even if it was a bit slower than the Z ( and it would be) it would be much, much faster around a track than anyone expects, and I feel like maybe i could prove something to folks about the old oft-maligned fox/fox4 chassis. ( have past experience with a similar car to the one id build, just less motor and a torque arm/panhard bar rear)

However, it would be a much worse DD, and whatever i build, has to serve that role, at least for a time, (probably a couple years, till im done with school. )

So why should I keep the Z?( or why shouldnt I?) Lets hear it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
Like the title says, thinking of selling the Z06. Dont get me wrong, absolutely love this car, just something about it, not sure. I feel like its going to be hard to make it "mine". Any C5 cosmetic mods are ugly, and if i have a Z06 thats real quick around a track so what, they all are. Guess Id rather have a car that I made very capable, than one that just is. Maybe id change my mind once i start putting some go-fast goodies on it, but I dont want to head down that road if im going to change my mind.

Been feeling the itch to do an SN95 mustang road race car, coilovers/Tubular K member, and an 03 cobra IRS, 393 windsor, T56. something like that. Even if it was a bit slower than the Z ( and it would be) it would be much, much faster around a track than anyone expects, and I feel like maybe i could prove something to folks about the old oft-maligned fox/fox4 chassis. ( have past experience with a similar car to the one id build, just less motor and a torque arm/panhard bar rear)

However, it would be a much worse DD, and whatever i build, has to serve that role, at least for a time, (probably a couple years, till im done with school. )

So why should I keep the Z?( or why shouldnt I?) Lets hear it.
Based on what you say, to me a purely rational choice would be:

Keep Z for now, use as a DD (cuz it works for that), don't spend a bunch extra, just leave and enjoy as stock, save money (or pay off hi cost debt) and down the road when you have some flexibility and perhaps extra play money re-investigate the situation. There's not really any downside to this choice I don't think, no real liability.

Another option is sell the Z (I guess you could clear what you paid for it since you bought it recently), and use the money to buy a) a decent simple dd, and b) a project car you could work on as time and money allowed.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

should add id clear what i owe on it by a sizable margin. I like putting most of a car purchase down, and do have a decent amount saved up to play with.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Graphics B*tch

I say sell it. Buy some really cheap dd and a project car. I bought my Mustang because that was what I wanted, not because it is the fastest thing out there. Drive what you love or it is just pointless.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 10-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

It's a big part of why I went with the C3 with swap and goodies. Almost nobody has any idea how fast I really am since I look pretty stock, though a few imports found out thinking they were picking on a slow domestic.

Throw in the excitement of 60s suspension geometry (even thought it's all freshened up and hardened) and it's a hoot to drive.

About the only bone stock car (within reason for me) I'd be interested in as an all arounder would be a Turbo Porsche. Other than that, I'd rather build a Factory Five Kit or a whole host of other more interesting things.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

Step one, pm me about details of trading my fox for the Z

Step two, trade me Z for my 87

Step three, enjoy slaughtering people on the road course, streets and canyons with a 500hp n/a engine(c5z included), all while having your kidneys raped by the ride, sweating your ass off, and reaking of fuel every time you get out of it

Sounds like a deal to me. Honestly as much as i'd love to trade i wouldnt. If you want a fox4 car keep the z and buy a capable roller off corner carvers, people sell built sn cars there for CHEAP and you'll still have plenty of work to do making it "yours"
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

c5 zo6's are badass dude. can't think of a better all around sports car for the money, esp considering the performance (and the huge v8 balls hehe). z06s and zr1s were the inspiration for building my ls-rx7.

check out this vid. this guy is a great driver, he got the car down to 2700 lbs, 385 whp (only engine mod is exhaust/headers!). I talked to him at the last autocross I went to. He's been working on the suspension setup for a year or two now, sounds like he's got it dialed. He gets fastest time of day at many of the events he goes to. I watched him very closely when I was working the autocross picking up cones, you would not believe how fast he was carrying the car thru the slaloms, looks almost impossible

BTW: I forgot to ask him, but the chassis itself looks like a FRC not a z06. He pretty much modded everything else that was bolted to the car I guess but it's still a very impressive car.

EDIT: as far as cosmetic stuff, I would leave it alone. I saw a red one a few days ago, it had some suspension mods, nice wheels and tires. and an aftermarket exhaust. I chatted with the guy at a stoplight. Car looked awesome.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Keep the Z. Making a Mustang handle like a Vette seems like an expensive, tedious road to go down.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Suppose you're right. Maybe I just need to go ahead and start a mod party, get the car to be a bit more what I want it to be. I was trying to hold off until I didnt need to DD it anymore, but I can live with a dual purpose car, I have before
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #10

Blasphemy in this thread i say, blasphemy!