Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Default New tuning on the cobalt ss/turbo

Well, as most of you already know I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS turbo. I started doing E85 tuning on my cobalt. Because of the direct injection system it is necessary for me to run a mix of E85 and 91 octane in a 50/50 ratio. 5 gallons of each at fill up. The mix is not 100% ideal but i still get most of the benefits of E85... I can run higher boost, ethanol has O2 molecules in the molecular chain, this allows me to run richer, which allows the engine to run more spark advance, which takes advantage of the slower burning ethanol, which gives more volume to the expanding gases helping my turbo work more efficiently, so yea I am stoked. Should be right around 370whp and 420lbs/torque when I get it dynoed next month. Not bad for a more or less stock 4 banger that weighs less than 3000lbs with me in it.

I am running HP tuners, 24 lbs of boost with a Treadstone Stage 3 bolt on system. I am still using the stock turbo. I just got an exedy hypersingle clutch installed as well to handle the power.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

I forsee a box a tranny parts in your future
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Hows the torque steer with that much power? My friend with a Mazdaspeed 3 with intake, downpipe, test pipe, exhaust and a tune gets violent torque steer if there are any surface irregularities under hard acceleration.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That is intense. I want a ride in this thing! Ya my mom gets some torque steer in her SRT4 and she makes about 150 less hp than you. Haha.

Torque steer isn't all bad though. Can make driving more interesting. Is that thing limited slip at least???
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

I will be running 50/50 here soon too. I love E85.

That is quite a bit of power for a little car like that.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Where are you guys getting E85 from? I'd love to switch the Cobra over eventually, but the closest station I've found is Pomona which is too far away.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

The Cobalt sounds like fun, my buddy has a HHR SS with a procharger on the 2.0 running 25psi (stock motor) it's pulling over 320hp and has massive torque steer
Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I'd never supercharge a 4 cylinder. I knew this guy who Supercharged his Focus. I think he made 178 wheel horsepower.

Blowers just take too much power to drive to run one on a 4 cylinder, especially with low boost.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'd never supercharge a 4 cylinder. I knew this guy who Supercharged his Focus. I think he made 178 wheel horsepower.

Blowers just take too much power to drive to run one on a 4 cylinder, especially with low boost.
There's always exceptions, some of the insane Group B Rally cars from the 80s were supercharged.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I have a big nasty NA cam, and I blow a lot of my boost out the exhaust because my LSA is all wrong for a blower motor. But obviously it still makes power.

I didn't say you can't make power. I just wouldn't do it personally, there are much better ways.