Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #1

Default Suspension Help

Driving on the freeway today, hit a patch of oil the rain loosened up. Started fish tailing going about 55 mph for a good 7 seconds. Corrected, tapped brakes, didn't crash. Realized how horrible the suspension on my fox body is. Was going to add more power, realized that my safety is a little more important. I want to go to GTR and get the full length subframe connectors in, and i figured if i was going to do that might as well pick up a few more parts. I was thinking upper and lower control arms, new shocks struts, and polyeurathane bushings. Any suggestions on the route i should go? I know the SFC's will set me back a little bit but over the next couple of months i want to piece together a good street/strip suspension. Any suggestions/ help appreciated! THanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #2

Instead of upper and lower control arms, wouldn't a panhard rod work better to keep the rear end planted straight? I installed SFC on my SHO and it made a hugh difference in how the car feels. SFC will make the car feel like its machine from a block of steel.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
Instead of upper and lower control arms, wouldn't a panhard rod work better to keep the rear end planted straight? I installed SFC on my SHO and it made a hugh difference in how the car feels. SFC will make the car feel like its machine from a block of steel.

Bob
Exactly the kinda suggestions i need ha! I really want the SFC's i heard it does wonders for foxes. Should i just piece together my suspension by getting one thing at a time or getting a whole kit? Was that your white sho at the motorgen meet? If it was it sounded pretty mean.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Mike, I installed Maximum Motorsports Road and Track box on the Cobra for the Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge and I couldn't be happier with it. It made a huge difference in the way the car handles and I highly recommend it. The only thing I wish I had added that I didn't was the torque arm but I just didn't have the money to do it. Maybe one day.

With that said you may not have an issue with the suspension and more of an issue with the tires. I found that the old tires that I use to run (Fusion ZR) were terrible in the rain. The car would hydroplain all the time even if there wasn't that much rain on the ground. I switched to a set of Dunlops and no longer have that issue.

Also, I'm not sure how many miles you have on your car but you could probably improve the handling quite a bit by just installing new bushings in the suspension. I have over 160,000 miles on the Cobra and when I was installing the new rear suspension I found that the upper bushings in the rear end housing where worn all the way to the metal. That allowed an inch of uncontrolled movement in the upper arms.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

That suspension would be great.. if i had about $1500 more than what i have right now ha. Maybe i should just try to save up for it. Because by the looks of it that would be all i need for a suspension and more. I have falkens on right now, but the tires are rock hard, maybe i should think about getting a different rim and tire package. I hate how heavy my rims are, and seeing how the tires react in the rain, I'm not a big fan anymore.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Boost Junkie

*cough* griggs racing suspension *cough*

best i've ever seen for mustangs.

www.griggsracing.com

enjoy. I think you'll be pleased.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

The white SHO at the meet is Sean's. I drove my Cadillac STS-V to the meet.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
*cough* griggs racing suspension *cough*

best i've ever seen for mustangs.

www.griggsracing.com

enjoy. I think you'll be pleased.
I haven't tried Griggs but I have MM and can tell you that the MM stuff made a huge difference on my car.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
The white SHO at the meet is Sean's. I drove my Cadillac STS-V to the meet.

Bob
I didn't realize you still had your SHO. How cool. My uncle has had two. He had a black 89, and they have a white 92 now. They bought the 92 two years ago with 8k miles on it! Unfortunately a driver t-boned my cousin in it and it might be totaled now
Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #10

Yea, well maybe ill have to do some research on Griggs. But if it comes down to it and MM is pricier but gives better handling, then I'll have no choice to go with better performance. Unless it's boat loads cheaper, and around the same quality or a little less. I just hate how my car handles like a bus.