Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Default 76 Nova reading full gas?!?

Got a 76 Nova concourse 350 engine and 350 trans. Recently started up the car and gas shot up past the full point and won't come down? I don't want to just start replacing s**t, so i decided to jump on here for suggestions. First thing that came to mind was fuel sending unit. Car is 35 years old so, it was my first assumption. Suggestions/troubleshooting methods?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

its a super simple system. its pretty much down to the sending unit or the actual gauge. My vote would be for the piece thats been sitting in gasoline for almost 40 years.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

Test the sending unit with a multimeter set on ohms. Connect the black lead to ground and the red to the terminal like in the pictures I attached. This is an old one I have for the Chevelle. I'm pretty sure yours is 0-90 ohms like mine is but it might be 0-30. When the tank is full (arm up) it should read 90 ohms. When the tank is empty (arm down) it should read 0 ohms. As you can see mine is a little off.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Ground the gauge signal wire at the tank and see if the gauge reads empty.

A open circuit will cause the gauge to max out "full" on the dash. A short to ground will cause it to read "empty" If you ground the signal wire and the gauge reads empty, it would indicate the sending unit is faulty.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I'm going to drop the tank this weekend and I'm betting that's going to be the problem. I'll snap a couple pics along the way, hopefully one of them will be the gas gauge working lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

When you're done fixing that fuel gauge come over and fix the one in the 87 for me
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
When you're done fixing that fuel gauge come over and fix the one in the 87 for me
Lol i had to do it for my 89. It was a pita, because i had just filled the gas tank up and my pump died.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

My sender works, but my float has a hole in it. I'm gonna need to install the 255 so i'm just waiting to replace it.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #9

Brings back memories, that was my first car, a hatchback I bought off some ol' lady for 100 bucks with an inline six in it, dropped a toilet 350 out of a van into it...what a mistake...cool car though, blacked it out with chrome rally repros and all the babes were into me...ok last part's a lie.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #10

Disconnect the tank sender, use a 12v testlight. Probe the wire and ground the clip to a known good ground. Key on, the testlight should "glow" and the gauge read about 1/2 scale. That proves the gauge itself and the wiring. Old time dealer mechanic trick. Any GM electrical gauge= water, oil, fuel can be quickly tested like that.