Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Boost Junkie

Default Advice on a mustang...

haha gotcha. No really. My fiancee's car has been giving her troubles and troubles all revolving around the same thing that we've attempted to have repaired multiple times... the exhaust mani.

end story in a nutshell:

need to replace the exhaust mani and have it installed.

car specs is AT 2000 V6.

asking for help to find the part for cheap (new is 330) and help with the labor so we dont have to spend 700 to get this fixed..

please lmk asap...

thanks in advance...

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I don't want to volunteer anybody, but Ron (a.k.a., 94cobra69ss396) may be able to hoook you with headers at a decent price threw his pals at GTR. He was at the meet in his highly stickered Cobra. Perhaps for a donation to his Chevelle fund he could help you wrench them on. Don't forget new gaskets at both the block and cats/y-pipe if you have them.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

$700 for an exhaust manifold? Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Buy some flippin shorty headers, get on your back and make it happen.

Or go to pick your part and walk out with a pair of manifolds for $20.

Just make sure to clean the mating surfaces with a scotch brite pad and some brake cleaner before install.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Boost Junkie

Yah 700 including labor lol I'm hoping to wrench it myself or with help... Just need the mani... Better to buy used or aftermarket do u think? Pricewise... Also need the knowhow

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Yah 700 including labor lol I'm hoping to wrench it myself or with help... Just need the mani... Better to buy used or aftermarket do u think? Pricewise... Also need the knowhow
Is there just a crack in one or both of the cast iron manifolds? Where/why is it leaking?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looks like 99-04 3.8L V6 are the same. Here's a new one on E-bay for the RH side, which one is leaking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...4506.m20.l1116

I would find the crack, pull one off at a junkyard, spray the pulloff with some brake cleaner and as it dries look for cracks. Practice on your cracked manifold, the brake clean will outline the cracks for 2 or 3 seconds while it dries.

If you spray your pulloff manifold and it looks solid, buy it, install it with new gaskets. Obviously you can buy those gaskets anywhere, or pay double for them at Ford.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Tyler,

At rockauto.com you can get a manifold with gaskets for 87.89 for the right and 89.79 for the left. I also have a 5% coupon code for them so you can get it for even less. The code is: 21645911808231.

I might try that route. Let me know.

Sean
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Tyler,

At rockauto.com you can get a manifold with gaskets for 87.89 for the right and 89.79 for the left. I also have a 5% coupon code for them so you can get it for even less. The code is: 21645911808231.

I might try that route. Let me know.

Sean
Sean, ur the man. We'll probably go that route... We'll order that asap I think... Rockauto.com has gaskets as well I'm assuming? How difficult will that part be to replace? Access wise... I have all the tools I believe but how hard will it be to reach??

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Sean, ur the man. We'll probably go that route... We'll order that asap I think... Rockauto.com has gaskets as well I'm assuming? How difficult will that part be to replace? Access wise... I have all the tools I believe but how hard will it be to reach??
Whoops just read "with gaskets" lol

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Shouldn't be hard, don't cry about it. Just soak the bolts, pipe flange bolts especially with penetrating oil the night before.