Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default So I'm still set on black, but...

Haven't yet decided what type of black. I'm not really looking for opinions so much as examples or experience, if any of you have experience spraying these or pics of any of these. Please post cuz I need to buy the paint like, yesterday. I can't find pics of any of these believe it or not.

Black gunmetal candy (flake) over a black base.

Black candy (dye) over a metallic blue base. (This is my favorite idea as of now, but I'm told it would be nearly impossible to shoot. Can you see the silver beneath the black in the pic below? Imagine it were blue)

HOK Immitation Candy?

Black candy (dye) over a metallic silver base. This is the only one I have been able to find:

Last edited by enkeivette : 09-30-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Made some phone calls, cut the list down, added a possibility. I'll check out the HOK Immitation Candies tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Just make a decision and get your s!@# painted already. How long has it been? You need to get your ride on the road by october....(I'm starting to think that ain't happening). I'm only kidding but...but seriously...make a decision and get a move on.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
Just make a decision and get your s!@# painted already. How long has it been? You need to get your ride on the road by october....(I'm starting to think that ain't happening). I'm only kidding but...but seriously...make a decision and get a move on.

I think he should take his time. Just like me. Primer Black is cool.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'll probably take Glenn's advice, primer it, take it on the cruise, look for cracks, then paint it. Guess I'll just wear ear plugs on the cruise.

It has been about 4 months now, if you've ever taken off 7 layers of paint and crap with a DA and by hand, you'd understand better why it's taking so long. This ain't no scuff and spray job. I want the clear to last for more than 4 years this time.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'll probably take Glenn's advice, primer it, take it on the cruise, look for cracks, then paint it. Guess I'll just wear ear plugs on the cruise.

It has been about 4 months now, if you've ever taken off 7 layers of paint and crap with a DA and by hand, you'd understand better why it's taking so long. This ain't no scuff and spray job. I want the clear to last for more than 4 years this time.
It's going to be great when your done. I love the greyish black above, but maybe a little less flake.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's going to be great when your done. I love the greyish black above, but maybe a little less flake.
The funny thing about that is, it's actually silver. You spray on a metallic silver base coat... the car looks silver, then you spray on a candy black clear and finish up with the clear coat. It's a 3 stage paint job. The car would look jet black at night and even in the afternoon, but under the sun you would be able to see the silver underneath, depending on the angle. It's pretty trick.

But candies are hard to do. Not enough and it won't look black, too much and the silver won't show through. Also candies tend to spit, even looking at the sample I can see three spots of black spit.

I was leaning towards doing a blue base underneath yesterday, but now I'm thinking the silver base would match the wheels nicely.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
A Motorgen O.G.

Who's doing the painting?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

Candies, especially lighter shades, are next to impossible to touch up. I strongly advise my customers to re-think any candy job that will see street usage. PPG and DuPont have some high-end 2 stage paints that mimic candies pretty well. Check them out if you can. BTW, once you go black, you never go back. BTW, the center stripe is wineberry over pure gold 3 stage candy. I painted the 'Vette in 1989, still holding up pretty well.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
Who's doing the painting?
Bill Maynard, Eric's Dad.

Big G, your car is gorgeous! The body and paint are too good to be true. I probably wouldn't be doing any touch ups, I don't have regular access to spray equipment.

So I'm told that candies are extraordinarily hard to spray. I've been told it's easy to make them look blotchy, is this true? Any advice? Warnings?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Bill Maynard, Eric's Dad.

Big G, your car is gorgeous! The body and paint are too good to be true. I probably wouldn't be doing any touch ups, I don't have regular access to spray equipment.

So I'm told that candies are extraordinarily hard to spray. I've been told it's easy to make them look blotchy, is this true? Any advice? Warnings?
Oh good deal. How's he doing? I know he wasn't in the best shape about a year or two ago.