Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Thinking about buying a welder.

Cheapest option for me looks like a 120v 90 amp flux wire welder. Any objections? Will this be juicy enough to weld thick plates... like for suspension components etc.?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Cheapest option for me looks like a 120v 90 amp flux wire welder. Any objections? Will this be juicy enough to weld thick plates... like for suspension components etc.?
Like 1/4" mild steel? Fine. We'll be working on the Snake tomorrow if you want to talk to Aaron about welders. I think he did a fair bit of research before selecting his Mig.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Like 1/4" mild steel? Fine. We'll be working on the Snake tomorrow if you want to talk to Aaron about welders. I think he did a fair bit of research before selecting his Mig.
I like the idea of having a mig better, but all of the cheap Harbor Freight migs are 240V.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I like the idea of having a mig better, but all of the cheap Harbor Freight migs are 240V.
Well, what's you're budget? I don't think the Lincoln Electric 120V Migs are that expensive. You might be able to pick up a slightly used one for considerably less from CL, eBay, etc. Generally when it comes to tools like this, I don't cheap out too much because they'll be used basically for life or at least a long time. Like the paint gun you bought recently.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, what's you're budget? I don't think the Lincoln Electric 120V Migs are that expensive. You might be able to pick up a slightly used one for considerably less from CL, eBay, etc. Generally when it comes to tools like this, I don't cheap out too much because they'll be used basically for life or at least a long time. Like the paint gun you bought recently.
The paint gun I bought recently is to last for the next few years, just like this welder. I will be buying a Sata when I have a real job. And my garage will look a lot more like yours when the time comes too.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
The paint gun I bought recently is to last for the next few years, just like this welder. I will be buying a Sata when I have a real job. And my garage will look a lot more like yours when the time comes too.
I'm a middle class grunt and devoted amateur at best. You can go much further over time.

In the meantime, check CI and eBay, you never know what might pop up.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
...you never know what might pop up.
That's what she said.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

I've always hated flux wire.....but its cheap and it gets the job done mostly. I was thinking of picking up a cheap 120v lincon for when my miller 30 is tooooo much of a pain. (miller 30 is a 200 amp 240v beast)

A 90 amp will do fine for most things. You just might have to let it cool down after a few welds.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Most 120v mig welders are only good for up to 1/8 mild steel. That's too thin for any suspension work.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

My neighbor has made some stout pieces for his Ranger with a 120v mig, I wonder what the amp rating is.