Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Default Electricity in motion.

So why don't automobile manufacturers work on standardizing battery configurations and power couplings? You pop into a 'filling station' and swap out your battery pack for a fresh charge and down the road you go. You pay for the battery rental not the electricity inside, leave that to the station owners to figure into the price.

There is a lot of wide open out there and quite a bit of it sits in windy sunlight.

Cross country in an electric car with an existing delivery infrastructure (we call them gas stations right now) for a price that may not be as cheap as plugging in at home but certainly quite a bit less than pumping 15 gallons of fuel into your car @ $3.89 a gallon (welcome to L.A. folks) every few hundred miles with about the same convenience.

There I go dreaming again...

Two bulls are standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, what's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". "No son" the older one says,"Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".
Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

I don't think we need to change the battery or even charge it in the car. we can drain the liquid electrolyte and replace it with new freshly charge electrolyte. This way a filling station doesnt need to get a shipment of "electrolyte" it can just charge the spent "electrolyte".

Yes battery acid is dangerous but so is gas and we have learned to live with that.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #3

The concept is call Flow battery's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/f...ries-0606.html
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Interesting ideas. There's also some nano-tech evolving to allow for far more rapid recharging. But in ANY of these scenarios, there is a massive grid infrastructure cost. You're talking about orders of magnitude more capacity. Electricity does not grow on trees or come on tankers.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Interesting ideas. There's also some nano-tech evolving to allow for far more rapid recharging. But in ANY of these scenarios, there is a massive grid infrastructure cost. You're talking about orders of magnitude more capacity. Electricity does not grow on trees or come on tankers.

No but it does blow in the wind and shine down from the sky and I have one other untapped source I'm looking to keep a secret and it isn't pie in the sky tech, as a matter of fact it is quite simple when you think about it but I digress...

I'm also working out a different idea for travel between certain places like L.A. and Vegas but thru way rights would be a nightmare for someone with good intentions and no funding.

Story of my life it seems.

Two bulls are standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, what's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". "No son" the older one says,"Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".