Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Rotrex Superchargers

I've been curious about these for a while. Anybody know much about these in the real world.

http://www.rotrex.com/

The Koenigsegg (kind of my favorite Hyper Car), uses them OE.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

They're supposed to be the most efficient superchargers, doesn't use a gear drive from my understanding.

But the reality is with a street car (IMHO) once you bolt on a supercharger, efficiency isn't a huge concern. I can build more power than I'd ever want to. Getting it down without breaking stuff is the problem.

Besides, I'm wiling to bet that they don't make a kit for an LS1.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
They're supposed to be the most efficient superchargers, doesn't use a gear drive from my understanding.

But the reality is with a street car (IMHO) once you bolt on a supercharger, efficiency isn't a huge concern. I can build more power than I'd ever want to. Getting it down without breaking stuff is the problem.

Besides, I'm wiling to bet that they don't make a kit for an LS1.
Yes. It's a fluid traction drive system, though I don't quite understand it. No, there isn't an LS1 Kit, one would have to be constructed.

I like the idea of silently adding a small amount of boost (<= 6lbs) to my otherwise Hi-Comp motor.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yes. It's a fluid traction drive system, though I don't quite understand it. No, there isn't an LS1 Kit, one would have to be constructed.

I like the idea of silently adding a small amount of boost (<= 6lbs) to my otherwise Hi-Comp motor.
Copy cat

I may regret saying this as I watch you fly past me at the track, but you can drop your compression quite a bit with a HG. I could have dropped my compression a full point with a Cometic HG. I opted to drop it only 1/2 a point. But they make them as thick as .12, maybe even thicker. And the consensus seems to be that with a boosted engine, quench is not important.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Copy cat

I may regret saying this as I watch you fly past me at the track, but you can drop your compression quite a bit with a HG. I could have dropped my compression a full point with a Cometic HG. I opted to drop it only 1/2 a point. But they make them as thick as .12, maybe even thicker. And the consensus seems to be that with a boosted engine, quench is not important.
Well, I'm >=11:1 right now. Even if I dropped a point, that puts me somewhere around 9lbs intercooled max on pump gas . . . I think. Anyway, this is expensive, and I kind of have a hankering for just ringing out as much as I can from the NA motor. Boost is such a temptress though. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I'm >=11:1 right now. Even if I dropped a point, that puts me somewhere around 9lbs intercooled max on pump gas . . . I think. Anyway, this is expensive, and I kind of have a hankering for just ringing out as much as I can from the NA motor. Boost is such a temptress though. . .
Nitrous! Sean gives you crap for using Torco as it is, so why not? If I didn't find that my compression was so low, I'd have at least a 150 shot by now.

Some juice, some headers, and your slicks... you'd be untouchable.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Nitrous! Sean gives you crap for using Torco as it is, so why not? If I didn't find that my compression was so low, I'd have at least a 150 shot by now.

Some juice, some headers, and your slicks... you'd be untouchable.
Oh, I assure you I don't listen to Sean much at all. It's a good point. I don't street race. With headers and a tune I'd be in to the low/mid 400s to the wheels, which is quite enough, and still very controllable on the road and for AutoX/Road Course; something I'm interested in. With the squeeze I'd be well into the 11s at the strip which is about as fast I want to be anyway. And it's sure as hell cheaper.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, I assure you I don't listen to Sean much at all. It's a good point. I don't street race. With headers and a tune I'd be in to the low/mid 400s to the wheels, which is quite enough, and still very controllable on the road and for AutoX/Road Course; something I'm interested in. With the squeeze I'd be well into the 11s at the strip which is about as fast I want to be anyway. And it's sure as hell cheaper.
And the nice thing about juice is, you could turn it off at autocross events. 400hp at the wheels in a light car is about as much as I'd want on a road course.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
And the nice thing about juice is, you could turn it off at autocross events. 400hp at the wheels in a light car is about as much as I'd want on a road course.
I'm not totally sure what my car weighs with me at race weight. In any event it's >=3,200 lbs, which is not light by Road Racing standards. I'm pretty sure the C6R weighs around 2,400lbs and is something like 560BHP. It's all a matter of power:weight in a balnced chasis with proper aero, etc.. F1 cars are at 800BHP territory at around 1,500 lbs minimum weight. FWIW, what I have (390WHP) is more than enough in the twisties for my (limited) ability in this chassis. In other words, the car is already beyond my abilities to push its handling limits.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Super Moderator

My car needs bigger tires and much bigger brakes to handle the twisties with the SC. NA it was almost a perfect match for carbon canyon.