Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Roller rockers failing.

Apparently God hates me, and my roller rockers.

I noticed today while I was cleaning my engine that the tips (not the fulcrum) of my roller rockers are failing, after only 15K miles! Gay.

This is why I'm an agnostic Sean, it seems to me that God must have seen that I've already spent over a grand in car parts over the last few weeks and he decided "Hey, let's watch him squirm!"

I guess on the plus side I can buy some 1.65 rockers now and up the valve lift. Should be good for another 20? hp.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Apparently God hates me, and my roller rockers.

I noticed today while I was cleaning my engine that the tips (not the fulcrum) of my roller rockers are failing, after only 15K miles! Gay.

This is why I'm an agnostic Sean, it seems to me that God must have seen that I've already spent over a grand in car parts over the last few weeks and he decided "Hey, let's watch him squirm!"

I guess on the plus side I can buy some 1.65 rockers now and up the valve lift. Should be good for another 20? hp.

Kinda sounds like an oiling or geometry problem. Are you just firing the thing up and nailing it? You should treat it like a lady and you may not have such problems.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Not a geometry problem, the rocker pushrod geometry is perfect (because I set it up myself ). Not an oiling problem, all of the pushrod holes were clean. The problem is the no-name rockers, if you look in my garage under engine specs you'll see that my rockers are the only no-name part on the engine. Bought them cheap from an E-Bay company. Looks like it cost me money in the long run.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Not a geometry problem, the rocker pushrod geometry is perfect (because I set it up myself ). Not an oiling problem, all of the pushrod holes were clean. The problem is the no-name rockers, if you look in my garage under engine specs you'll see that my rockers are the only no-name part on the engine. Bought them cheap from an E-Bay company. Looks like it cost me money in the long run.
Cheap stuff usually is more expensive. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I think my dual valve springs might be to blame for the excessive wear on the roller tips.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
I think my dual valve springs might be to blame for the excessive wear on the roller tips.
What kind of damage to the roller tip?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

The roller itself is fine, the damage is internal. Some of the rollers feel rough as in they don't spin freely. Feels like the bearings or whatever's in there has flat spots.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
The roller itself is fine, the damage is internal. Some of the rollers feel rough as in they don't spin freely. Feels like the bearings or whatever's in there has flat spots.
Ok, now I understand. Well, at least the best "I" can.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Super Moderator

No it was my bad, I said damage to the roller tips, didn't specify.

Don't remember deleting that post above, what I said was... I figured out that with 1.65 rockers my lift would go from .520/ .540 to .576/ .594.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
No it was my bad, I said damage to the roller tips, didn't specify.

Don't remember deleting that post above, what I said was... I figured out that with 1.65 rockers my lift would go from .520/ .540 to .576/ .594.
Make sure you check push rod clearence at the head and rocker clearence at the spring.
2016 Nissan Altma