Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default CNG for Performance Engines

Does anybody know much about the properties of CNG for performance engines. Probably there will be some infrastructure evolution towards CNG. We have tons of it in the States, it is cleaner than refined petroleum fuels. E85 is particuarly great in boosted engines, even if it is a bit of an economic and environmental boondoggle, but I digress. So, what's the 411 on CNG?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Does anybody know much about the properties of CNG for performance engines. Probably there will be some infrastructure evolution towards CNG. We have tons of it in the States, it is cleaner than refined petroleum fuels. E85 is particuarly great in boosted engines, even if it is a bit of an economic and environmental boondoggle, but I digress. So, what's the 411 on CNG?
I still haven't found any data about CNG. Doesn't anyone here know?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Damn, this seems to be darned mysterious. Basically, what are the properties of CNG as a fuel? I'm thinking some if it might be pretty good for a performance engine, mosty because going from compressed to uncompressed form will make for a pretty darn cool air charge. But I have no idea about energy content, etc.???

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Default Yes!

This looks pretty encouraging.

http://www.mckenziecorp.com/dehydration.htm

There looks like there is a small mistake in teh chart for Btu/gal, but other than that it seems to have some FANTASTIC properties for a performance engine. How about 120 Octane, and very high energy density (btu/lb). More research is required but this could be a fascinating project for the Vette. . .

Unfortunately, while CNG is a completely organic and nontoxic gas, due to the genius laws of CA, the conversion would be illegal as it is not the engineered fuel for the engine.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Default More Info

http://www.cngoutfitters.com/

Conversion Forum
http://www.cngoutfitters.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #6

Some years ago the Gas Service Company in KC had their trucks all running on CNG. (Hey, they were the Gas company!) the conversion setup was very similar to propane and the results were close to the same, cleaner, less maintenance, fewer spark plug and oil changes. They have drifted away from it now and gone back to diesel or gas.

Detroit Diesel has engines that run on CNG by design, so that should get around the Carb stuff.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is vehicle on-board storage. So much concern about an accident punching the CNG tank and making a real loud noise.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
Some years ago the Gas Service Company in KC had their trucks all running on CNG. (Hey, they were the Gas company!) the conversion setup was very similar to propane and the results were close to the same, cleaner, less maintenance, fewer spark plug and oil changes. They have drifted away from it now and gone back to diesel or gas.

Detroit Diesel has engines that run on CNG by design, so that should get around the Carb stuff.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is vehicle on-board storage. So much concern about an accident punching the CNG tank and making a real loud noise.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Also the containment tanks are VERY heavy compared to a nice fuel cell. I've also run across conflicting info about the energy content of CNG vs. Gas.

Out here in Commie land we can't even convert engines to run on that boondoggle hippie Corn Juice. Which is too bad because at 110 Octane and the cooling properties of alcohol, you can do some nifty things with your engine, especially boosted engines. We've got a user here that is damn near 500AWD HP on a 2L Turbo E85 motor.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)