Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default New Turbo Technology!!!

Best Post Ever:

First off, Jay, stay out of this.

Ok. I didn't want to mention it but I was thinking about turbo charging my Vette. I got to thinking about it and how in efficient even turbos are (compressor efficiencies of about 80% at best).

Since a turbo's function is to pressurize incoming air and force it into the upper motor, and turbos are driven by high pressure exhaust gas created from the combustion process, couldn't I just bypass the turbo altogether and route my headers back into the throttle bodies?

Since I have CFI, I could balance the DEI (direct exhaust injection as I just coined it) by feeding one header into each throttle body. Yes, the charge air wouldn’t be that cold, but it would be under a hell of a lot more pressure.

I attached a quick sketch below:

There are still a few things I need to work out:
1) How do I get the CFI aircleaner to fit in a way that hides this plumbing?
2) Does anyone make a V-band clamp that will bolt an exhaust header to a CFI throttle body?
3) What pinion angle should I use in my rear-end? I’m sure there will be a noticeable difference in torque output.

What do you guys think?

http://www.gmmodernmuscle.com/forums...pic.php?t=2779

Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Default Egr

Don't laugh too hard. There is a thing called exhaust gas recirculation. It's primarily intended to burn off emissions, but can actually (in well tuned systems built for it), increase HP and MPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki
Don't laugh too hard. There is a thing called exhaust gas recirculation. It's primarily intended to burn off emissions, but can actually (in well tuned systems built for it), increase HP and MPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
LOL, I know about EGR, but this is something else entirely. Check out the thread if you get a chance, some of the replies are priceless.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk
LOL, I know about EGR, but this is something else entirely. Check out the thread if you get a chance, some of the replies are priceless.
I did. I almost think the author is pulling everyone's leg. The drawing itself is simply awesome.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Just in case he wasn't joking, I would have said:

"Wow, I think you're on to something. Give it a try."

This certainly solves the energy crisis, just plug your extension cords back into eachother. Infinite power.