Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #71
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Thanks for the additional info. See my post about registration in the main thread. It looks like this will be a trailer queen. Please talk to your buddy and see exactly what he did.

I'm leaning towards scuff the paint and go with a non-pearl solid color with candy letters for this project. The next (yes, there will be more) maybe we could step it up with going down to the body and doing a more extravagant paint job. I think I'd like to use those off the shelf flares. But would, if you are down, go after the redone bumpers. I think this is focusing on a strong but manageable challenge. This is going to involve you A LOT, what do think of that direction?
The blue pearl would only add another $15 (for the pearl flake). We could just mix it in with the clear instead of buying an intercoat clear. And then lay a few coats of straight clear over the pearl clear instead of spending another $100 on intercoat clear. But since I assume you and Sean are the main dudes funding this project, it's your call.

As you've seen my paint/ prep posts I'm sure you realize that the actual paiting does not take very long. So if you want to do the pearl, like I said, aint no thang.

I'm down for doing the body work, just like anything, I'm sure after a few minutes of watching you'll want to step in and try it out. Like all of this stuff it can be learned easily. The bumper will be difficult, but doable I think.

And I'll stop by my friend's house and see what's up with his Ranger.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #72
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
The blue pearl would only add another $15 (for the pearl flake). We could just mix it in with the clear instead of buying an intercoat clear. And then lay a few coats of straight clear over the pearl clear instead of spending another $100 on intercoat clear. But since I assume you and Sean are the main dudes funding this project, it's your call.
I'm responsible for underwriting the project car, but that does put more onto Sean's shoulders for other things, so yeah, we're funding it. I do need to control costs, but this doesn't sound like any real extra money or time, just a choice.

So here's what we're gonna do.

Scuff Factory paint, not go down to body
Blue Pearl over white, using cost effective method as described above
Off the shelf flares
Dedicated bumper work

As for paint supplies, kameleongt can hook us up. Please make a preliminary list of the amount of the materials you guess will be needed.

Primer
White Base
Blue Pearl
Clear
Orange Candy

Sand Paper and any other prepping supplies you think might be necessary.

As for the bumpers, I have a reasonably well equipped woodworking garage. My brother nad I can build a buck if that's a process you want to explore.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #73
Super Moderator

I've been thinking about the best way to do this... There are two options that I'm considering.

The ideal way to do it would be to remove the bumper, add on to it with metal and foam to get the shape that we want. Create a fiberglass mold. And lay out a piece in the mold. The problem with this is that we would need to buy a lot more resin and matte, molds need to be thick. And this would be a BIG one.

The other way, more cost effective (I'm thinking about $14 for some matte). Would be to cut the bumper in half (right at the seam) and make a fiberglass piece to replace the old piece (more like a nascar front end) and bolt it on to the remaining portion of the bumper.

Unfortunately since this is a plastic bumper, we can't mold into it. Unless I learn/ get creative with plastic welding.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #74
Super Moderator

This looks pretty cool, he trimmed the rear bumper and ditched the mouldings. I'd love to do this, but I don't see how we could fill the moulding on the rear bumper. We'd have to make a glass bumper for the rear also. And we'd definitely have to make one for the front, not just an attachment.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #75
Super Moderator

Also the tail lights are ugly and need to be blacked out. Needs to happen, sorry.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #76
Super Moderator

Bump.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #77
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Also the tail lights are ugly and need to be blacked out. Needs to happen, sorry.
Unless your Ranger pal sheds some magical light on the registration situation, we don't need any lights or license plate for that matter.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #78
Super Moderator

Drove by, didn't see his truck. I'll drive by again tomorrow. What did they tell you at the DMV?

I find it hard to believe that all of the cars (some of them being post 75 Corvettes) that attend the Tri City park car shows, sporting faux license plates with only the model year of the car displayed, are subject to smog tests.

Just because some dude behind the couter hasn't heard of it doesn't mean it's not in the books. I'll also check in the law library at school and see if I can get any info on this shizzle.

What do you feel like doing with the bumper by the way? Do you want me to make an entirely new front bumper out of glass?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #79
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Drove by, didn't see his truck. I'll drive by again tomorrow. What did they tell you at the DMV?

I find it hard to believe that all of the cars (some of them being post 75 Corvettes) that attend the Tri City park car shows, sporting faux license plates with only the model year of the car displayed, are subject to smog tests.

Just because some dude behind the couter hasn't heard of it doesn't mean it's not in the books. I'll also check in the law library at school and see if I can get any info on this shizzle.

He was actually very helpful and spent some time and talked to others in the office. The closest we could come up with was form 17a, which included various classes of historical vehicle registration. In order to qualify you need to be a vehicle 25 years or older and of historical interest, subject to certification. Our chassis isn't old enough and of no particular historical interest. The other classes had to do with horseless carriage (ancient), Medal of Honor Winner, and the like.

Quote:
What do you feel like doing with the bumper by the way? Do you want me to make an entirely new front bumper out of glass?
I think that'd be pretty awesome.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #80
Super Moderator

Damn. Sorry Ben, I guess my friend had his head up his ass.

These are the AWR flares, they're pretty sweet but $440 for the pair, plus shipping.

We can make one out of glass, I'll stop by this weekend to check out the bumper.