Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default 521.45hp

That's what I get, assuming a 17% loss. That's nothing to cry about right? Especially not with an air to fuel ratio between 14 and 15:1, a slipping belt, only 32 degrees total timing at only 6lbs of boost hot air. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

432.80 / 83 X 100 = 521.45

Man, dyno day is always depressing for some isn't it? Felt like we broke some hearts at Magnaflow today.

Hey Ben, I noticed that there is a bump in my A/F curve at 3K rpm. It jumps over 16:1 real quick. Does yours have a bump in it right before WOT?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Cough Cough, it's 15%, cough. By my math you're pushing no more than 509.176471 hp or 10.823529 less than a stock 08 Lamborghini Gallardo. Of course that also puts you up roughly 85hp up on a certain Cobra I know, and about 409.176471 hp up on a certain Turbo Buick I know.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

In all seriousness though, your car is a beast Adam, I was quite impressed Ben too for that matter.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
. . . Hey Ben, I noticed that there is a bump in my A/F curve at 3K rpm. It jumps over 16:1 real quick. Does yours have a bump in it right before WOT?
No bump. It drifts from 14 to 15 between 2.5 and 3k and is pretty flat at 14 for the rest of the way.

But I like this statistical fact. Your blower motor is making 68.60hp/liter. My NA motor is making 68.72. So neener neener neener.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
...and about 409.176471 hp up on a certain Turbo Buick I know.
Hahaha, you're a dick.

And Ben said that stick cars are between 15 and 17 percent, so since my car has IRS don't forget, I pick 17. And since it's common knowledge that Ben is smarter than Sean, we can infer that 17 is a reasonable estimated loss. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
No bump. It drifts from 14 to 15 between 2.5 and 3k and is pretty flat at 14 for the rest of the way.

But I like this statistical fact. Your blower motor is making 68.60hp/liter. My NA motor is making 68.72. So neener neener neener.
Must be my acc pumps. I should probably upgrade to the 50cc pumps to get rid of that little hesitation.

And yes, your motor is awesome Ben. Even though you cheat with Torco, just kidding!!! I was thinking about how amazingly efficient your motor is, being NA and all. And getting awesome gas mileage, AND still having AC, AND still having an acceptable ride. Whilst mine is not so comfortable or efficient.

But keep in mind, in my car's defense (being supercharged and all) she's only at 6lbs. And she's a world away with a smaller pulley and a $250 intercooler. I can run 15lbs with this setup intercooled on 91 octane.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I thought of yet ANOTHER lame excuse. The second pull made (as you'll see on the dyno sheet) an average of 10-15 more hp before he had to let out at 4750 rpm.

However, to play Devil's advocate with myself, there is never how fast your car can be, only how fast your car is.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . However, to play Devil's advocate with myself, there is never how fast your car can be, only how fast your car is.
Addendum, "It's never how fast your car can be, only how fast your car is. However, it is how fast my car can be."

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I thought of yet ANOTHER lame excuse. The second pull made (as you'll see on the dyno sheet) an average of 10-15 more hp before he had to let out at 4750 rpm.
What was your torque, 425? Let's go ahead and be generous and say your torque would stay constant to a redline of 6,000rpm. That equates to 485WHP and therefore, about 557BHP.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Addendum, "It's never how fast your car can be, only how fast your car is. However, it is how fast my car can be."
No no, I didn't mean it like that. I meant the royal "you." I was referring to myself. As of this day, my car is good for 432 whp. That's it, period.

Quote:
What was your torque, 425? Let's go ahead and be generous and say your torque would stay constant to a redline of 6,000rpm. That equates to 485WHP and therefore, about 557BHP.
???

Hey Ben, my Mercedes tech buddy seems to believe that a 14-15:1 A/F ratio is dangerous for WOT. So I've decided to richen it up based on that.

You said that your A/F ratio was similar under WOT, why don't you richen it up to 12-13:1, you'd gain power obviously, it would be safer, and you might be able to get away with just 91 octane. I can't think of any reason not to bump up the fuel pressure.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . .

Hey Ben, my Mercedes tech buddy seems to believe that a 14-15:1 A/F ratio is dangerous for WOT. So I've decided to richen it up based on that.

You said that your A/F ratio was similar under WOT, why don't you richen it up to 12-13:1, you'd gain power obviously, it would be safer, and you might be able to get away with just 91 octane. I can't think of any reason not to bump up the fuel pressure.
It may be slightly different for DOHC engines than Pushrod, but I don't know. On Naturally Aspirated Gen III motors, 14:1 is about ideal for A/F efficiency. A bit richer at lower rpm (I'm close to 15 down low), would improve torque under the curve.

Running too rich (and I think 11-12 is too rich, even for your application probably), means LESS power, more hydrocarbon emissions (unburnt fuel) and and less mpg. Running too lean means you emit more NOX and run the risk of dangerous detonation (like bye bye engine territory).

It gets pretty complicated and I don't know all the theory for sure. However, it is my understanding A/F and timing is quite a bit different on Forced Induction motors than Naturally Aspirated. I suppose in the simplest terms, timing is often comparatively retarded and the A/F comparatively richer.

The point is that the same A/F and Timing curves are not equally well suited to different engines.

In my case, my biggest potential gain for power will come from timing. I'm only at about 18 at 4K. That's because it was tuned on 91 to avoid detonation. Because it's a fairly hi-comp motor, getting the timing up from peak torque, might punch it up a fair bit.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)