Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Paint Pics 2 (C3)

I'm very happy with the way that it turned out, there are tiny pieces of lint here and there (hopefully they will sand out) but I guess that's virtually unavoidable. This was a ventilated booth, I wet the floors, cleaned with WGR, tack wiped, several times and still...

I love the color though. It's hard to appreciate here, in person it shifts from black to a metallic gray. It's HOK PBC43, Pearl Black.

Here's the only run that I've seen. It's a clear run so I would think that it should sand out. How would I do this? 1000 on a block then smooth it out with 1500, then polish and buff? Fortunately it's on the underside of the bumper, and hard to notice.

In this pic you can really see how it looks black at certain angles in certain lights.

One candy black tail light. To do this I wetsanded all of the lights (sidemarkers included) with 600 grit, mixed black candy dye in with the HOK clear, then shot 5 coats till I got the desired shade, then shot 3 coats of straight HOK clear to keep them protected & shiny.

Last edited by enkeivette : 01-10-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm very happy with the way that it turned out, there are tiny pieces of lint here and there (hopefully they will sand out) but I guess that's virtually unavoidable. This was a ventilated booth, I wet the floors, cleaned with WGR, tack wiped, several times and still...

I love the color though. It's hard to appreciate here, in person it shifts from black to a metallic gray. It's HOK PBC43, Pearl Black.

Here's the only run that I've seen. It's a clear run so I would think that it should sand out. How would I do this? 1000 on a block then smooth it out with 1500, then polish and buff? Fortunately it's on the underside of the bumper, and hard to notice.
Wow, it really turned out great Adam. All that prep work really paid off. I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I just realized that there was an earthquake and my car is still up on jack stands.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

All hail. And I wouldn't worry about the Earthquake, it was pretty light.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Graphics B*tch

Congrats Adam!! The car looks great and if you only had 1 run in the paint and this is your first time I think that is acceptable. Can't wait to see her in person.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to kameleongt

damn adam it looks great once that run is taken out it should be great. glad I was able to help you out.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Ya, it should come out fine. Fortunately you can't even see it unless you get on your knees and look. Since it's on the underside of the fender.

The run is by the drivers side front side marker light. As you can see from these pics, standing above the car you can't see it. But of course I'm going to take it out anyways. Along with some of the lint.

And thanks again Art! Definitely owe you one, if I can return the favor just let me know.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Super Moderator

If I may toot my own horn for a minute, the body work was flawless. There is no evidence of the drivers side fender near the gill that I had to repair, the emblem holes, the antenna hole, the modified front bumper or either of the bumper seams. Or even the seams of the doors that I closed up or the surface of the door skin that I made level with the body. Or the flippin hole that was in the hood!

There are little things here and there that I notice, that most if any of you will not. But yeah, body work came out great. If only Corvette bodies were as straight from the factory as my body work was, my car would be flawless.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
If I may toot my own horn for a minute, the body work was flawless. There is no evidence of the drivers side fender near the gill that I had to repair, the emblem holes, the antenna hole, the modified front bumper or either of the bumper seams. Or even the seams of the doors that I closed up or the surface of the door skin that I made level with the body. Or the flippin hole that was in the hood!

There are little things here and there that I notice, that most if any of you will not. But yeah, body work came out great. If only Corvette bodies were as straight from the factory as my body work was, my car would be flawless.

Let's see how you do with RX-Snake, then I'll toot your horn (so to speak) big time.

In all seriousness, I'm very impressed with what you were able to do; especially considering where you started. I really look forward to working with you and the other guys on the body/paint of our Project Car. And I really look forward to seeing your work this Saturday.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Damn, nice job. You are the the "MAN".

So..................when are you going to start on my VETTE?????????
2016 Nissan Altma