Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default 2002 Protege5 Mod for Rural Road

I'm pursuing a rural property with 2.5 miles of dirt road to and from the property. That's 5 miles a day on slightly rough road. Eventually I can buy an SUV, but my Protege is basically ok on it, just not ideal, so maybe there are some appropriate cost effective mods I can do if I get the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Does the city take care of the road or is it a private road you'll have to maintain?
I believe it is county, however, the zoning out there is residential/agricultural, with minimum 5 acre lots. Pretty sparsely populated so they aren't going to pave it. It is ok, probably graded once in a while. It has two problems:
1. typical wash boarding in some spots which just happens on dirt roads that aren't wonderfully maintained, especially if its dry.
2. some rocky bits

I can get over it ok in my Protege, but twice a day is going to beat on the standard suspension I fear. Wonder if there are some reasonably priced coil-over or other adjustable suspension to get a bit more "off road" compliance and isolate the chassis a bit more than a typica road car.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

I don't think you'll have to worry about the suspension taking a beating as long as you drive down it at a moderate speed. I would be more concerned for the days where it rains. We used to live off a dirt road when I was a kid (granted it was only 1/8 mile) in northern California and even with 4x4 trucks there were a couple of times when it rained for a few days straight that we got stuck in our dirt driveway. One time my dad got our 2wd truck stuck then the 4x4 trying to pull the first truck out. Then our friend got his 4x4 stuck trying to pull out my dads and then finally my dad got his 4x4 tow truck stuck trying to get that truck out. Luckily we had a huge oak tree in the field across from our driveway and my dad used the tow truck cable to pull all of the trucks out together by putting tow straps between each.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

That's a little concerning. . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

I don't think it will be as bad here in Southern California though. It also depends on how hard packed the dirt on the road is and what type of dirt. Some gets slick while other packs down and gives more traction. The Silverwood trail that we ran is a perfect example. When it rains you have a lot more traction than when it's dry.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Drive your Jeep!

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I don't think it will be as bad here in Southern California though. It also depends on how hard packed the dirt on the road is and what type of dirt. Some gets slick while other packs down and gives more traction. The Silverwood trail that we ran is a perfect example. When it rains you have a lot more traction than when it's dry.
It is mostly quite hard packed with a fair bit of clay. My guess is more slick than "mud trap".

@Damian Adam is now the owner of my Jeep! I traded it for some legal services.

If this goes through though, I'll almost certainly tradeout our almost new xD for the upcoming Renegade, which would be size and style appropriate for my wife.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #7

If, you drive it slow you will be ok, I don't think the dirt out there will mud up too bad.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20