Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default RX-Snake: Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Need and SHOULD are two different things. A cage would add strength also, especially if you gut the doors, lexan the windshield, yada yada. If you installed one first, it would keep everything square to the world before you take the sawz all to it. (IMHO)
It's a good point. Wouldn't be that much more expensive and would increase the quality/value of the platform. Something to consider seriously. We know a VERY good cage builder, maybe we can get a good deal.

At what point should the cage be installed? Pretty early on right?

bird, I'm hoping you can help out all over as the mood strikes you, but maybe especially with some bad ass switchgear setup and bulletproof electrical system.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Graphics B*tch

I think that installing the cage once the interior is gutted would be good. Before we worry about the drive train and suspension install. The cage and suspension should be considered together to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
How about RX Snake?
I like the name! Other options would be RX-302 or Snakada.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's a good point. Wouldn't be that much more expensive and would increase the quality/value of the platform. Something to consider seriously. We know a VERY good cage builder, maybe we can get a good deal.

At what point should the cage be installed? Pretty early on right?
Yep. After you have a plan, but before any major changes. It will never be as straight as before you begin.

bird, I'm hoping you can help out all over as the mood strikes you, but maybe especially with some bad ass switchgear setup and bulletproof electrical system.
Not a problem. Been there/done that/more times than I care to remember.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Any of you local fellers got a trailer? This car is going to have to make at least two separate trips on a trailer (pick up, cage). Or might you have a line on a decent cheap trailer. Otherwise we can just rent as needed.
Ben, I haven't read far enough to see if this was answered yet but I have a trailer. Also, if it hasn't been arranged yet I can build a cage for it. I have a couple buddies with tube benders. The only thing we would need is the tubing.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Ben, I haven't read far enough to see if this was answered yet but I have a trailer. Also, if it hasn't been arranged yet I can build a cage for it. I have a couple buddies with tube benders. The only thing we would need is the tubing.
How much tubing and it's yours

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
How much tubing and it's yours
Let me talk to Throttle Crazy and see how many sticks it will take. You want a 6 point roll bar that is NHRA legal to 10.00 correct?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Fast & Filthy

I tried to look at the car from link but it has been pulled. Is it a Gen 1 or 2?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Let me talk to Throttle Crazy and see how many sticks it will take. You want a 6 point roll bar that is NHRA legal to 10.00 correct?
Yes. My primary concern is safety for the driver. I expect mid 11s out of the car. With a 6 point we'll also improve total torsional rigidity and make the car more capable for other than straight line performance. Let's comply with NHRA rules and get it certified.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I tried to look at the car from link but it has been pulled. Is it a Gen 1 or 2?
Uh, what link are you talking about. I'm just getting ready to post the first pics.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

I spoke to Throttle Crazy and he thinks we'll need 3 sticks to do the roll bar. We both want to get some sticks for other projects as well so we'll just pick them up. Once you guys have the car stripped let me know and I'll come pick it up to do it. We'll want to install the roll bar before you put it up on blocks.