Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

My cup runneth over. I'll have Jammer fab ups some headers after some of the other bits are done. Then retune and probably stop there as far as the engine is concerned. I should be at around 430WHP NA through a Roman era IRS and still passing smog. That's about as good as its gonna get NA without major changes, and 430 @ 3,100lbs full wet ain't too shaby. Shedding another 100 lbs shouldn't be too hard either.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Thanks Nate. What do you think about lifters?
I use stock LS7 lifters. Actually the LS7's have become the oem replacement for all LS motors. Ive had no issues with them even when I was spinning my old LS6 passed 7000rpm. Any times the heads come off I'll replace the lifter trays tho. At like $8ea theyre cheap insurance. Ive heard complaints about people with the Rhodes or Morel link bar lifters. Theyre usually noisy and bleed down too much, at least on street cars.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Natie View Post
I use stock LS7 lifters. Actually the LS7's have become the oem replacement for all LS motors. Ive had no issues with them even when I was spinning my old LS6 passed 7000rpm. Any times the heads come off I'll replace the lifter trays tho. At like $8ea theyre cheap insurance. Ive heard complaints about people with the Rhodes or Morel link bar lifters. Theyre usually noisy and bleed down too much, at least on street cars.
I know people were using the Caddy racing lifters for a while. Wonder if there's any difference there. I certainly like the price tag on these upgrades!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Its been proven the best rockers for LS motors are stockers with upgraded bearings and trunions. Theyre light, strong and handle high rpm. Theres been failures with just about every aftermarket brand of rockers. If you do a search I think youll find a lot of good info. The upgrade trunion kit from Comp Cams is cheap insurance. I made a video on this a while ago.

http://www.compcams.com/WhatsNew/Fil...ionupgrade.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IoaGBTq2fE
Best? Hardly. Viable option, absolutely. The stockers will flex before they break, but if you're breaking rockers there is ALWAYS a reason for it. Regardless if stock or not.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Go as big as you can on the lift. I don't think it will have a dramatic effect on smog unlike a change in duration. And any change in duration will be negligible. So its not really pushing more air into the cylinder, just allowing more efficient operation at high rpm. (Stand by for correction.)

Fab up some headers while you're at it. You have 2 hands, a welder, and no excuse. Just jump in balls first, thats the way to do these things.
Yup, only downside to high lift and low duration is the ramp rates kill the valve springs pretty quickly. Best bet would be to shim his current springs to 200lbs
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Best? Hardly. Viable option, absolutely. The stockers will flex before they break, but if you're breaking rockers there is ALWAYS a reason for it. Regardless if stock or not.
Just going off what I've seen and experienced. Stockers break at the fulcrum bearing so the upgrade fixes that. The problem with the aftermarket ones is that the design of the valvetrain doesn't allow for enough material where the arm extends over to the pushrod and they break there. That's why I always say to do a search and check out the forums. There's tons oof info on the matter, so it's not just one persons opinion. You'll find that stockers with upgraded bearings have been the most ssuccessful with the most benefits. There are no lighter ones then stock available iirc.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Just going off what I've seen and experienced. Stockers break at the fulcrum bearing so the upgrade fixes that. The problem with the aftermarket ones is that the design of the valvetrain doesn't allow for enough material where the arm extends over to the pushrod and they break there. That's why I always say to do a search and check out the forums. There's tons oof info on the matter, so it's not just one persons opinion. You'll find that stockers with upgraded bearings have been the most ssuccessful with the most benefits. There are no lighter ones then stock available iirc.
Like I said, there is always a reason for a rocker breaking, usally improper coil bind and pushrod length, like i said, the stockers will flex, if the rocker doesn't bbreak, the stud or the pushrod will, too many variables to give the title "the best". If you want the absolute best nothing beats a shaft mount setup, but the cost is up there. I'd personally run the magnums, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Stopping the world!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #18

Yeah youre not gonna beat a Jesel shaft mount setup but it cost a very pretty penny. I was referring to oem style.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
. . . However the only rockers I would run on an LS are the chromoly magnums and those only come in a stock lift. . . .
Link? Not sure what I'm looking at.

This is an NA street car. My cam is moderate and I won't/can't go bigger. I just want a linear power curve to 430~WHP and dead reliable.

I'M at 390~ with stock valvetrain and exhaust manifolds through cats. My idea with the lifters and rockers is simply to spin more readily to peak power. I'm not sure going higher rpm with my 224/224 114LSA .566 lift is going to bring a lot to the party. I have redline set at 6,500 RPM.

Exhaust is where the bulk of "easy" power is sitting on the table. However, the engine has to come out to deal with the cam knock, so . . gulp. . . while I'm at it . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)