Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
The 35 might be better for mods. Depends if he wants to be happy with 330hp, or if he wants to mod a 270hp motor to the 4-500 range.
Any idea on the weight of the 350 vs. LSx? Packaging would be a little easier. I think 510s can get into the low 2,000lb range fairly easily, so something in the 325WHP range with great balance would be plenty fast and "potentially" excellent handler.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
I, Vettezuki

Well, interesting. $2k for a full reubilt VQ350?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #23

vq35 is roughly 330 lbs from what i can gather, minus trans/flywheel and front accessories. Ill see if my dad has the weight of a fully dressed VQ on his swap list from when he had his 280. Be warned. Its not much smaller than an LSx, if it is at all. Those overhead cams make for a wide motor.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
vq35 is roughly 330 lbs from what i can gather, minus trans/flywheel and front accessories. Ill see if my dad has the weight of a fully dressed VQ on his swap list from when he had his 280. Be warned. Its not much smaller than an LSx, if it is at all. Those overhead cams make for a wide motor.
THe info would be great. We're leaning towards teh SR20DET: 450lbs for full engine and trans, easy to package, ok stock power to start that can be beefed up, well understood swap, etc. Sometimes obvious is obvious for a reason. (We'd love to do the 2.8L V8 twin Hayabusa, but that's a bit pricey. )

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #25

Why not try a four banger but be different? Ford 2.3 comes to mind, I know theyve got them putting foxes in the 9s, so its clearly got potential. Im just shooting from the hip here, as ive never actually seen it done, but it could be fun
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #26
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
Why not try a four banger but be different? Ford 2.3 comes to mind, I know theyve got them putting foxes in the 9s, so its clearly got potential. Im just shooting from the hip here, as ive never actually seen it done, but it could be fun
The Ford 2.3 did cross my mind. . . I guess they build some wicked ones for midget cars etc. But how much? SR20DETs, with trans, are really pretty cheap (low $2k). But yeah, something at least a little different would be cool. Any good links to sources for ready to drop 2.3s or DIY kits?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
FWD = FAIL

ls motor or ford 2.3 my buddy just found one with a trans for cheap. I'll see if he won't send me the link.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
Internet Tough Guy

How about the 5.6L v8 out of their full size truck. Really what do you want out of the car? Drag, road racing, cruiser?
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #29
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
How about the 5.6L v8 out of their full size truck. Really what do you want out of the car? Drag, road racing, cruiser?
Drivable street car, powerful, but not at the expense of being well balanced and fun to drive in twisties.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #30
Fast & Filthy

How about a 1985 VG30ET? They had 200hp and 227tq stock. I found out last night that my dad still has his out of his 1985 300ZX Turbo. He has the engine, trans (5 speed), driveshaft, ECU and wire harness. The car had somewhere near 90,000 miles on it when I rolled it.