Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #121
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Wrong....
No.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #122
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
No.
Yes...
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #123
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
What do the rings look like? Are they single molly? If it were me, I'd go with new rings also.......just to be sure of a good seal and long life....it is worth the extra $75.00.
I agree but I haven't had him order anything yet. We going to make sure the crank is good and if it's not then he may look at building it as a 460 instead. Once we know I'll have him get whatever is needed.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #124
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I agree but I haven't had him order anything yet. We going to make sure the crank is good and if it's not then he may look at building it as a 460 instead. Once we know I'll have him get whatever is needed.
Ok...just to have it out there......you know you will have to change pistons and RE-balance if you go 460?
Since you have to do that why not get a stroker kit from Scat or Eagle to 502 ci?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #125

I ordered the main bearings and pilot bushing. We'll see what happens when we put the crank with the new bearings in the engine. Got my fingers crossed that the guy at the machine shop was right and the crank was not killed. If that is the case then maybe the overheating was a blessing in disguise because we shut off the engine and maybe saved some more damage.

With regard to the bell housing. As Ron pointed out; while the 400(used in Broncos)and 429/460 engines have the same bolt pattern, it's possible that the housings themselves may have different dimensions(depth). I am going to call Perogie - Mustang experts and the people I bought my 4-speed conversion kit from - to see if they can give me the info on the housings.

While this is really turning into a nightmare, I'm too far into this thing to quit now.

Glen; if I wound up going the route you mentioned, what all would I have to scrap and repurchase? Seems like that could turn into a financial nightmare

Thanks to everyone for their comments..

1972 Mustang Mach1
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #126
Super Moderator

A whole new ring set? Wasn't this a new motor?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #127
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Daddy View Post
I ordered the main bearings and pilot bushing. We'll see what happens when we put the crank with the new bearings in the engine. Got my fingers crossed that the guy at the machine shop was right and the crank was not killed. If that is the case then maybe the overheating was a blessing in disguise because we shut off the engine and maybe saved some more damage.

With regard to the bell housing. As Ron pointed out; while the 400(used in Broncos)and 429/460 engines have the same bolt pattern, it's possible that the housings themselves may have different dimensions(depth). I am going to call Perogie - Mustang experts and the people I bought my 4-speed conversion kit from - to see if they can give me the info on the housings.

While this is really turning into a nightmare, I'm too far into this thing to quit now.

Glen; if I wound up going the route you mentioned, what all would I have to scrap and repurchase? Seems like that could turn into a financial nightmare

Thanks to everyone for their comments..
You would lose your crank...and this is going to hurt....with the thrust damage on the crank that appeared in the photo..I feel you already did.

The other parts are the pistons.

That is it ...depending on how everything is balanced external vs internal. But you can get the stroker kits as balanced assembly.

Think of it this way.... you would be going from 429 to 502...that is a big jump.

I'm a little older than you...I'm always am thinking of what I always wish I would have done...and in the Sixties it is CUBIC inches that ruled. Here is your chance to rule the street in a FORD.

You have the second best engine builder around here. If he is agreeable use him to build this stomper engine.

You can use everything else you have with the 502.

Remember it is just money. Use your money to enjoy what you have to the fullest.

I re-read this.....man I sure went off on a tangent. But I'm going to leave what I wrote.

BTW
If you decide to change cams...talk to me about me buying the cam you have...just a thought.
The cam you have will work just fine with the 502....but should be a bit bigger if you want to change.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #128
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
A whole new ring set? Wasn't this a new motor?
Yea..a whole new set..cause this engine was not put together very well.

New rings ...equal piece of mind.

Worrying about something--- if it is going to hold up or not causes BRAIN DAMAGE--I've had brain damage..it is not not fun.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #129
Neanderthal

[quote=

..[/QUOTE]

There is one thing I could do for you ...I have a computer program... Engine Dyno... works pretty good. I could run the differences between a 429 vs 502 everything else being equal..I can do that late Saturday night or Sunday day for you.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #130
Fast & Filthy

My opinion is that if the crank is gone that you just pick up a cast 429 crank from Summit. They're a little over $350. If you decide to go with a stroker kit you will be into a minimum of $2000-$3000. Yes, it will make more power than the 429 but you haven't even driven it with the 429. Right now you're used to the misfiring 351C power.