Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Mothers Clay bar

I had the Corvette at the base Autohobby shop for a fee months earlier this year. I installed the Raptor (wing) as well as doing some other jobs to help with the future cage installation. One of the other patrons was doing some metal cutting with a circular grinding wheel and got a lot of metal dust on my car. Obviously I was upset about it. Truth is my paint is very beat from all the track use so I didn't make a big deal of it. I finally got around to washing the car and quickly realized that the dust would come off and two turned brown with rust. Imagine a plastic corvette with a patina. I started budgeting for a paint job (aka beer for Adam and tell him his car is fast). Then I remembered that I had a Mothers Clay bar kit (Bar and detail spray) in the closet. It took about three hours, but I was able to get the metallic dust off the car completely. There are some other little marks, unfortunately it did nothing for the track rash or the burn marks. Anyways I wanted to share this one because for the $20 cost it's worth a shot before painting.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

In the old days you coulda called the Lord God King of clay bars .. one Mr. Sean Plunkett.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Fast & Filthy

If the paint is still thick you can use some 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper and lightly wet sand it. Then polish it with a buffer to bring the paint back to a shine. I had to do that with the hood on Explorer after doing the SAS.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Playdoh works too
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

Thanks for the playdoh tip. It pretty much came off to I'm done with it. I will take it to my carwash guy and have him detail it. Some point next year it is getting dipped.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Haha

That's awesome! It's tough to beat the longevity of factory paint. If you can save it you should.

I'd avoid wet-sanding and buffing it, that just wears the clear coat down thinner. Id rather have it a little less shiny and a little more scratch/ chip resistant.