Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default TV Kids and In Car Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Assuming that the stock alternator was good for about... 60 amps??? And assuming that a C3 in stock form would suck all of those 60 amps, we have a starting point.

So, let's say that your main concern is your subs and Neon lights and NOT your 164hp L48 mill. You decide that you want to mount two 15" long travel subs in the back of your Vette. And yes, they'll fit, mounted at an angle. And each of these subs are monsters and can handle a whopping 2,000 watts (not all that unlikely, I have three 15s in my room, purpose built and they can all handle 2,000 watts.) So now we need an amp that can put out 4,000 watts (RMS) at 13.8 volts that would be 4000/13.8 = 290... amps! Now we're going to go with an electric fan (not all that uncommon) and I think that Mark IV fan that everyone is in love with will suck ...40 amps??? So 60+290+40 = 390, throw some Neon bling under there and we're at 400amps and some OTT!

Admittedly, this would be one unusual C3. And I personally am running an aftermarket head unit and two electric fans on a stock alternator. In my highschool days before I cared about weight I actually had a 500 watt amp and a 12" sub in there. But still on the stock alternator.

With 140 amp alternators being fairly common, with some quick rough math once again, you'd need at least an... (140-60 = 80x13.8 = about 1100) 1100 watt RMS amp to suck up all of that, at least. And seeing as how most aftermarket amps have bullshit ratings (rated at MAX power which is ususally twice as high as the RMS output, or purely a bullshit number) you'd realistically need more than a "2200 watt amp " to suck up all that just one high output alternator could supply.

And yeah, clocking has nothing to do with dual alternators.
I can tell you from personal experience that you can easily tax a stock 130amp alternator. I have 5 TV's, 6 high/mid range speakers driven by a 4 channel 50 watt rms @ 4 ohms amp, 2 subs driven by a single channel 600 watts rms at 4 ohms or 1200 watts rms at 2/1 ohms amp (amp is stable to .5 ohm) all in my Suburban (my oldest daughter wouldn't travel for longer than 45 minutes as a baby so in went the TV's). When I was running the sub amp at 1 ohm even at a cruise the lights would dim at heavy bass output even with a capacitor for the sub amp. The amp was requiring more than the alternator could put out. I rewired the subs for a 4 ohm load and now the amp is enough to power it. I'm sure that a 200amp alternator would probably put out enough to supply it but if I was to run two of those sub amps instead of just one I would need to run dual alternators to supply enough amps.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #2

Why would anyone put all that tv and stero stuff in a car anyway, to keep the kids calm? sure, but 5 TVs? I guess I just will never understand why

Old 12-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Twin View Post
Why would anyone put all that tv and stero stuff in a car anyway, to keep the kids calm? sure, but 5 TVs? I guess I just will never understand why
Agree 100%. And I can't even see installing all that crap to keep the kids calm. We never had all that junk as kids. No offense, but that's just poor/lazy parenting. All we had was a crappy tube AM radio in my Dad's car that had to "warm up" before we heard it, and I guarantee we didn't listen to rock and roll while it was turned on. There are plenty of things to occupy a kid's mind besides DVD movies and all these other toys installed in DAD'S car. Time to tell the kiddies you either sit down and STFU or you get left home with grandpa. If you need something for them to do, have them count out-of-state license plates or get one of those car travel kits for kids that has little board games. Time for parents to stop kissing the kids butt and actually assume the role of parent.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Dep View Post
Agree 100%. And I can't even see installing all that crap to keep the kids calm. We never had all that junk as kids. No offense, but that's just poor/lazy parenting. All we had was a crappy tube AM radio in my Dad's car that had to "warm up" before we heard it, and I guarantee we didn't listen to rock and roll while it was turned on. There are plenty of things to occupy a kid's mind besides DVD movies and all these other toys installed in DAD'S car. Time to tell the kiddies you either sit down and STFU or you get left home with grandpa. If you need something for them to do, have them count out-of-state license plates or get one of those car travel kits for kids that has little board games. Time for parents to stop kissing the kids butt and actually assume the role of parent.
Nope. You guys probably have some image of psycho kids going nuts on their parents and getting whatever they want. Having spent time off roading with 94cobra69ss396, his brother and their numerous children, I can say the world would be a better place if there were more parents like them. And trust me, I'm usually the first one to go off about lazy parents giving their kids whatever they want and turning them into little self-absorbed hellions. That ain't the case here.

Also, one the things I've never understood about some of my fellow car guys. It's okay to spend countless thousands of dollars and hours doing "manly" things to your car, no matter how little you actually use it, but spend money on comfort or entertainment, and somehow you're a sissy? Whatever, yawn snore. Then again he does have the 500hp, 11 second daily driver Cobra, that he actually drives daily, and a 10 second Chevelle. So that's covered too.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Power's off.

Quote:
Agree 100%. And I can't even see installing all that crap to keep the kids calm. We never had all that junk as kids.
Nor did you have Color TV, Cell phones, The computer you are writing on, the Forum we are posting on, The DVD/VCR you watched last night, or the fuel injection on your truck, nor...............................

When you are stuck in So Cal traffic for 2 hours with the kids, TV's in the back is not a crime. If they had them when I had my dually, I would have installed them.

However, I DO not understand, nor will I ever, RAP music at 170db's. I have been an audiophile for 40 years, and have a 6' tall 18" rack at home with the speakers to go with it. I like most music, and tend to play it louder than Mrs Bird cares for.

But while driving, I tend to leave it off, except when going thru the wasteland called N.M.

Before we get WAY further off topic, let's keep our arrows pointed in the same direction for now. Okay?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Nope. You guys probably have some image of psycho kids going nuts on their parents and getting whatever they want.
I see you met my offspring.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

Also, one the things I've never understood about some of my fellow car guys. It's okay to spend countless thousands of dollars and hours doing "manly" things to your car, no matter how little you actually use it, but spend money on comfort or entertainment, and somehow you're a sissy? Whatever, yawn snore. Then again he does have the 500hp, 11 second daily driver Cobra, that he actually drives daily, and a 10 second Chevelle. So that's covered too.
As long as we are talking "what I don't get", I don't get why anyone would build a hot car to use as a "daily driver". If you are racing it on the street, then you are an idiot. Soorry, but that's the truth. If you are racing it at the track, you are handicapping yourself against the competition because they have no problem ripping out dead weight that would slow them down. If I want comfort and entertainment, I'll sit back in my easy chair at home and enjoy my entertainment system. If I need to drive somewhere, then I am driving and concentrating ON DRIVING. Having DVD players, deafening boom boxes, cell phones, and all the other distracting crapola that people seem to feel is mandatory to driving is just distractions and potential causes of accidents.

And Bird, I lived in Chicago as a kid. 2 hour traffic jams were not a rarity in the 50s, nor are they today. Parents take the easy way on raising kids every chance they get nowadays. The TV, video games and DVD is raising the kids, not the parents.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
As long as we are talking "what I don't get", I don't get why anyone would build a hot car to use as a "daily driver".
How bout that Corvette business model?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
The reason for the equipment is because at the time I was driving back and forth from CA to AZ to visit my grandmother a lot. My daughter would not ride in the car for more than 45 minutes (she was 9 months old) so I installed a TV in the rear of our Explorer so that we could go an hour and a half or so before having to pull over and let her get out.

We then bought our Suburban and I installed 2 headrest monitors so both my daughters could have a screen in front of them, 1 flip down for when I had my nieces and nephew with us, 1 in the front passenger visor so my wife could watch and then the head unit has it's own 7 inch screen which is always closed. I also have monitors and subs in my Cobra and the ones still in my Explorer.

My kids are not brats and are very well behaved and very loved. I work from home and spend all my time with my family. You do not know me so do not judge me on what kind of father I am!

Sorry for being upset but I pride myself on being a good father. Anyone who has met me and my children know that to be true.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
As long as we are talking "what I don't get", I don't get why anyone would build a hot car to use as a "daily driver". If you are racing it on the street, then you are an idiot. Soorry, but that's the truth. If you are racing it at the track, you are handicapping yourself against the competition because they have no problem ripping out dead weight that would slow them down. If I want comfort and entertainment, I'll sit back in my easy chair at home and enjoy my entertainment system. If I need to drive somewhere, then I am driving and concentrating ON DRIVING. Having DVD players, deafening boom boxes, cell phones, and all the other distracting crapola that people seem to feel is mandatory to driving is just distractions and potential causes of accidents.

And Bird, I lived in Chicago as a kid. 2 hour traffic jams were not a rarity in the 50s, nor are they today. Parents take the easy way on raising kids every chance they get nowadays. The TV, video games and DVD is raising the kids, not the parents.
So why do you have a Vette? Why don't you sell it and buy Corolla? My guess is because you like the car. I like fast cars. My Cobra is my daily driver and yes some would consider it fast. Me, I just think it's a fun car to drive. But it runs 11's and will pull 28mpg. Also, why would I gut the car when I can beat a lot of car with all the creature comforts. Can they drive their gutted out car from CA to AZ with the wife and kids in the car running the air and watching movies. Guess what, I can! Besides, this is my slow car.

Also, I don't street race. I do jump on the car occasionally but not in traffic and not racing someone. I do take it to the track every once in a while but I usually take the Chevelle. Oh and I also cruise that on the street as well. And guess what my daughters like to ride in it.

From what you've written you're either jealous that I have what I have or you're just being a dick.