Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Ideas for a Project car
V8 (SBC/ BBC/ SBF/ BBF/ SBM/ BBM) in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
V8 in an RX7 2 33.33%
TT V6 in an RX7 0 0%
V8 in a Mustang 2 2 33.33%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #101
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
The "spirit" of hot rodding goes back to the Model T. Taking a general purpose car, and making it lower, wider, faster, safer, lighter, and of course more fun. Pursue the spirit. It never died.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
The "apex" of hot rodding is placing the modern in the old. My old friend, now deceased, Stan Betz glorified this before he died with his 2032, or 2000duece.
He installed a Lincoln in a repop all metal duece.
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...ept/index.html
That kid, Shawn I think, owns the Muffler Man next door to OC driveline owns a Northstar engine, complete with 30,000 miles for $400. Stick THAT in the back seat of an old Nova. You can still find them for under $1,000. Darrow passed on one for $800 in SD.
Hell ya, mid engine Nova with 2000 tech.
Sure, but I think more of us are concerned with acceleration that having FI & a computer.

I think you have it in for Jap econo rockets, more than you do for other econo rockets. The Shelby Cobra was a 4 banger British car originially wasn't it? If we had the budget for something like that, we'd do it. But what's on the table is a 3500lb Mustang or a 2500lb RX7. And although the Mustang has that cool muscle factor, I'd rather have the extra second in the quarter.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
A longer duration ( 10 to 12 degrees) on the exhaust than the intake will help with the small port.
Unfortunately, I can't find any info on the cam. I'll keep looking, though. It's not where I should have kept it, but I have another place I may have stored it. I'll check in the next couple of days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #103
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Agreed.

Sure, but I think more of us are concerned with acceleration that having FI & a computer.

I think you have it in for Jap econo rockets, more than you do for other econo rockets. The Shelby Cobra was a 4 banger British car originially wasn't it? If we had the budget for something like that, we'd do it. But what's on the table is a 3500lb Mustang or a 2500lb RX7. And although the Mustang has that cool muscle factor, I'd rather have the extra second in the quarter.
3,500 lbs??? Where did you get that figure? I don't remember them weighing that much. I'll see what I can find out.

By the time we go through the vehicle is will weigh 2,500 lbs EASY.

Here's what I found out; curb weight -offical- is 2,500 to 2,700 lbs depending of options.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #104
Graphics B*tch

How about TT V6 Pinto? No Smog Issues.

Or a Blown SBC in a Ford Pinto?

Or either of these in a old VW Rabbit?

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten

Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #105
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
V8 SBC in RX7.

But, with what Joe has thrown on the table, the Mustang II with FORD SB power is a slam dunk. Remember, Mustang IIs came with 302 2bls engines later in the run.

When I had my Moble Repair buiness in the early 80s, I worked on a number of these. All owned by women. This one time one of the women called me to come to her house and when she opened the door she was wearing...................

A FORD 4 speed top loader---damn what a GREAT guy. You can NOT do better that that.!!!!!!!!!!!
Vote has already been changed to reflect. The option is now simply V8 RX7.

How much do you think this Ford SB puts out hp wise? And does it have forged internals.

Ben's SBC probably puts out about 200hp. If this Ford SB doesn't have forged internals or significantly more hp. Maybe we should go with the SBC, we could likely score a set of used big heads for a SBC for a couple hundred bucks, prob score a big used solic cam for about $100. Not so sure about finding parts as easily or as cheap for the SBF. Then again, I'd much prefer the toploader to Ben's Auto.

I honestly don't care if we do this with a Honda engine. It's simply a matter of hp & weight for me (which would kind of eliminate all Honda engines ).

BTW, if we go the Chevy route, I will donate a Milodon high flow water pump (less than 10K miles on it) and various other SBC parts that I have lying around, Q-Jet, HEI, etc.

Also, I don't think that my blue coil overs would support the front end weight of a SB equipped car. But we could try them out, I'm definitely willing to give them up for this project.

I also have resin left over for flares.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #106

How about one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang 2 drag car.jpg (50.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg mustang 2 drag car 2.jpg (583.7 KB, 2 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #107
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
How about TT V6 Pinto? No Smog Issues.

Or either of these in a old VW Rabbit?
Uhhh... neh!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #108

Quote:
How much do you think this Ford SB puts out hp wise? And does it have forged internals.
I never dynoed it, but I outran several S197 Mustang GTs with the set-up I had. I'd say it was putting out 260 - 270 RWHP thru a C4 with ~6 PSI of boost. That was also through the stock exhaust manifolds and 2" exhaust. And yes, it's forged.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #109
Power's off.

Quote:
but I think more of us are concerned with acceleration that having FI & a computer.

My first NEW car was a Ford Courier(Mazda). Couldn't kill it. Japs okay, just not my thing. I grew up with Muscle cars, when Jap was joke. That's all.

Want fast? Get me a rocket nozzle and some silver screen. I'll get you down the QUARTER in under 4 seconds.

Brutal. Remember the rocket car at OCIR? Ran on H2O2?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #110
I, Vettezuki

Ok. I've decided for a variety of reasons we're going to do an RX-7 with a Forced Induction SBF.

http://motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033

Closing this thread.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Closed Thread