Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
Super Moderator

When a tech works on your car, he owes you a duty to return to you a safe car. If the burden of precaution is less than the probability and severity of the risk (if it's easy to drive the car around the block and there's a probability it could save you risk of harm if the tires fall off or ball joint pops out) then the tech is negligent if he does not perform that duty. And the shop will be vicariously liable for your injuries and any damage to your car.

So legally, they should drive it.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
When a tech works on your car, he owes you a duty to return to you a safe car. If the burden of precaution is less than the probability and severity of the risk (if it's easy to drive the car around the block and there's a probability it could save you risk of harm if the tires fall off or ball joint pops out) then the tech is negligent if he does not perform that duty. And the shop will be vicariously liable for your injuries and any damage to your car.

So legally, they should drive it.
Agreed. I think Throttle Crazy was just commenting on the possible joy riding angle (beyond duty), not that that's what Paul was doing in any sense. And secondly that some owners might get persnikittety if they found someone to be writing out about them being cheapskate, not that they could do anyything about it other than complain to one's boss. I don't think right to privacy applies.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #23
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I would trust Paul 100% with any of my cars
Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #24
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I would trust Paul 100% with any of my cars
Well, maybe 93.14%---
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
He said he didn't drive the car because it had slicks. If some tech posted pics of my car over the internet I'd feel proud.

As far as road testing, techs road test. They would be negligent not to. If you don't want someone else driving your car, learn how to work on it yourself.

C6, you really think that shop isn't going to take that $15K power plant of yours for a nice ride around the block up to 140mph before they call you to pick up the car? If I was caught I'd just say, need to make sure the rings seat!
Fellas, I don't really care what was or wan't done. I just thought it was funny that I was familar with the car.

Enkie,
That's a great assessment. That first semester of law school is really paying off.
CNJ
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Agreed. I think Throttle Crazy was just commenting on the possible joy riding angle (beyond duty), not that that's what Paul was doing in any sense. And secondly that some owners might get persnikittety if they found someone to be writing out about them being cheapskate, not that they could do anyything about it other than complain to one's boss. I don't think right to privacy applies.
That is exactly what I was saying. I was not trying to accuse anyone of doing anything wrong. It is completely the technicians job to roadtest a car to verify a customers concern and to verify correct operation after the repair. Although, I do occasionally get complaints from customers of both vehicles being roadtested to far and not far enough.
I just thought it was funny how there was a picture of the Corvette in front of the shop and a comment made of him being cheap. Then posted right after that C6 made mention of knowing the guy who owned one of the cars posted. It could have just as easily been someone who was friends with the guy who owned the Corvette. I just think when you are posting things on the Web for everyone to see you should use caution. No more!

"Lucky for me it was not stock...had a healthy lope..flowmasters"

"Spent some time today driving this 69 4speed 427 Vette. T-tops off . It was kinda a beater. Needed lots of work, and the old man was bitching about spending 35 bucks for his lof."

"I quite like being employed"
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
...persnikittety...
Did you really just use persnikittey? I would expect that from Sean but not you.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #28
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Did you really just use persnikittey? I would expect that from Sean but not you.
Persnickety is good when describing curmudgeons.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #29
Neanderthal

Quote:
Persnickety is good when describing curmudgeons.
persnickety is never good to use in public.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
persnickety is never good to use in public.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten