Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Graphics B*tch

Default Is that coolant I smell.

So I was driving to drop a package off at FedEx office for work when I smelled the all too familiar coolant smell. When to FedEx I popped the hood and found an empty reservoir and some coolant clouds coming from the back side of the engine. I could not see the a leak but sure could see the results. I drove over to the gas station in the plaza and bought some jugs of water. When I went out to pour them into the res I notice a large puddle of coolant under the truck. Got down and it was dripping from around the tranny, not saying that is the source though. Drove it to work about a mile away and lets say that all the water did not make it to work with me. Truck did not seam to get much hotter than normal but I dropped it off at the Firestone station not too far form work (would have called you Paul but I left your cards at home). Am guesses as to the problem before the guys at Firestone tell me. I replaced the heater core about 2 years ago now. I am hoping broken hose but could it be worse?

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
So I was driving to drop a package off at FedEx office for work when I smelled the all too familiar coolant smell. When to FedEx I popped the hood and found an empty reservoir and some coolant clouds coming from the back side of the engine. I could not see the a leak but sure could see the results. I drove over to the gas station in the plaza and bought some jugs of water. When I went out to pour them into the res I notice a large puddle of coolant under the truck. Got down and it was dripping from around the tranny, not saying that is the source though. Drove it to work about a mile away and lets say that all the water did not make it to work with me. Truck did not seam to get much hotter than normal but I dropped it off at the Firestone station not too far form work (would have called you Paul but I left your cards at home). Am guesses as to the problem before the guys at Firestone tell me. I replaced the heater core about 2 years ago now. I am hoping broken hose but could it be worse?
What engine? 2v or 3v
Edit nevermind just saw the year
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

"On the early 4.6 engines there is a metal coolant tube that runs from the back of water pump under the intake. There is a short section (about 4" long) of hose at the front. This hose could have a pin hole or the metal tube could have rusted. Either way the intake will need to be removed. The water tube use to be a dealer item. If you have not already replaced the plastic intake to the new style with the metal crossover this may be a good time to do both. It is not a difficult job but allow the better part of a day if you have never done one."
From ford trucks.com
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I sure hope you're not insinuating coolant is coming from the trans. Get under there with some goggles while the motor is running and look for the leak. If you need to take it off the heater core, be very careful. Do not yank it off or pull hard, cut it away need be.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #5

I am leaving on vacation tomorrow , so a call to me might not have helped !!. Could've lent you a pressure tester though .
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

crack in the plastic intake manifold and coolant running down in an interesting fashion? Had that happen in the T-bird, part of the excuse i gave myself for buying the PI parts.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
crack in the plastic intake manifold and coolant running down in an interesting fashion? Had that happen in the T-bird, part of the excuse i gave myself for buying the PI parts.
this is a small 4" tube that runs along the back side of the engine
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #8

I mean the actual manifold. I know on non-pi car motors its prone to cracking, I can only assume truck 4.6s are the same.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
I mean the actual manifold. I know on non-pi car motors its prone to cracking, I can only assume truck 4.6s are the same.
Its prone to cracking on the PI motors too, my buddy has been through 2 of them
Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Ford.