Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #91

zuki- ya i am curious if you use a foreign engine in a before 1975 year chassis can it still be legal? was your answer a for sure yes or a hypothetical yes? lol

also the skyline engines can make stupid power too just like the supra 2jz motor. actually i think the skyline motor is better then the supra's but because the way the japanese culture is the dont go ballz out on there cars. they like the "well balanced" car build approach where 400-500hp is usually the goal and then focus on suspension and looks and braking on a way more extensive level then we do here in the U.S. but there are a few 1000-1400hp skyline motors out there mostly in europe or back east but they keep there cars under wraps.......there is a long and contriversial story that goes on behind why they hide there cars but maybe ill save it for the politics forum

enkie- ill get my friend too look those up for you and see if he can get a ball park price. but really i would imagine a theft recovery bike thats even in decent shape should go for 2k at the most but thats just my estimate ill get back too u with a real answer

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #92
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
zuki- ya i am curious if you use a foreign engine in a before 1975 year chassis can it still be legal? was your answer a for sure yes or a hypothetical yes? lol

also the skyline engines can make stupid power too just like the supra 2jz motor. actually i think the skyline motor is better then the supra's but because the way the japanese culture is the dont go ballz out on there cars. they like the "well balanced" car build approach where 400-500hp is usually the goal and then focus on suspension and looks and braking on a way more extensive level then we do here in the U.S. but there are a few 1000-1400hp skyline motors out there mostly in europe or back east but they keep there cars under wraps.......there is a long and contriversial story that goes on behind why they hide there cars but maybe ill save it for the politics forum

enkie- ill get my friend too look those up for you and see if he can get a ball park price. but really i would imagine a theft recovery bike thats even in decent shape should go for 2k at the most but thats just my estimate ill get back too u with a real answer
Thanks man, I'll totally pay your friend a finder's fee if he finds one that I end up buying.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #93
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
zuki- ya i am curious if you use a foreign engine in a before 1975 year chassis can it still be legal? was your answer a for sure yes or a hypothetical yes? lol . . .
Fact. It's the reason a future Motorgen project car will be pre 1975, so we can get a bit nutty in a genuine street car with Big Brother breath down our necks or sticking his hand in our pants.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #94
Super Moderator

Actually no, it wouldn't be legal... I'm fairly certain. I think it is always illegal to tamper with OE smog equipment, whether the car is subject to testing or not. I think if you had a 75 C3 with a blower sticking out of the hood, and a CARB nazi wanted to... they could bust ya.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #95
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Actually no, it wouldn't be legal... I'm fairly certain. I think it is always illegal to tamper with OE smog equipment, whether the car is subject to testing or not. I think if you had a 75 C3 with a blower sticking out of the hood, and a CARB nazi wanted to... they could bust ya.
Nope. Don't listen to him CornFed, he's the one who tried to tell me about the mystical "show car" registration.

Enkei, you're thinking of the "custom car" registration again. Technically, if you were super anal about it, you COULD put a Corvette motor into a same year or later non-Corvette, so long as you meet the smog requirements of the transplant, get a ref to sign off on the Smog, AND get an inspection from the CHP for safety. For example, it may be possible (though not pleasant) to put an LSx into an RX-7 FD if you were willing to jump through all the hoops. The problem is there is no table of accepted "customizations". Either the Ref or the CHP could turn you down for very small pedantic reasons.

What I did is a CA legal swap. Same class of engine from the same or later year of the target vehicle. Requires ref, but not a CHP inspection.

Pre 1975, it's a little vague, but as I recall you technically only have to retain the "chassis" emissions equipment, though I don't recall what technically that would be (evap?). But the point is you don't have to get it smogged. There are LOTS of pre 1975 240s and the like running around with V8s with no smog equipment with legal registrations. That's what Smog Exempt means. They did however do away with the rolling exemption. It's fixed at 1975 now.

From "The Man":
Quote:
Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption will be repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely.
They do state that you need to keep your original emissions system which in the case of pre-1975 Japanese cars may not have even included a cat (because for the time they were very clean burning). Sticking a big blower out of your hood on a big block in a Cellica may be asking for a tangle. But basically, if you have a neat and clean modern looking engine under the hood of an old car (like a Silvia swap into a 240) I honestly don't think you'd ever have a problem unless you ran into a major major a*s hole and you kind of deserved by attracting attention doing something like street racing. For sure you don't have to take it in for the biennial smog. That's the main point.

We probably should do a thread that is a very detailed description of the different mods and ways to legally register your car with case examples in CA. We're terrible for modded cars (kinda ironic no?). I don't think any state is more severe. A couple are possibly equal, following in our footsteps like NY. Other places are way more of a free for all (for now) like TX and FL.

I did the CA legal swap. ThrottleCrazy did the "custom car" registration for his Land Cruiser (I think).

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #96
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Nope. Don't listen to him CornFed, he's the one who tried to tell me about the mystical "show car" registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
...but as I recall you technically only have to retain the "chassis" emissions equipment...

...They do state that you need to keep your original emissions system ...

And I said that my friend said that you were able to obtain show car registration, I thought he knew what he was talking about. And feeling bad I did offer you a generous solution... A solution that would be no more illegal than removing a cat off a 75 C3.

Vehicle Pollution Emission Standards: 1955 Through 1965 Model Year Motor Vehicles
27157.5. The State Air Resources Board, after consultation with, and pursuant to the recommendations of, the commissioner, shall adopt such reasonable standards as it determines are necessary for the public health and safety for the emission of air pollutants from the exhaust of motor vehicles of 1955 through 1965 model years. These standards shall be based on the normal emissions of such cars when the timing and carburetor are in proper adjustment and the spark plugs are in proper operating condition.

Added Ch. 1095, Stats. 1971. Operative May 3, 1972.

Certificates of Compliance or Inspection: 1955 Through 1965 Model Year Motor Vehicles
27158.5. After notice by a traffic officer that a motor vehicle does not comply with any standard adopted pursuant to Section 27157.5, no person shall operate, and no owner shall permit the operation of, such motor vehicle for more than 30 days thereafter unless a certificate of compliance has been issued for such vehicle in accordance with the provisions of Section 9889.18 of the Business and Professions Code or unless the department has checked the vehicle and determined that the vehicle has been made to comply with such standard adopted pursuant to Section 27157.5. A certificate of compliance issued for such vehicle shall, for a period of one year from date of issue, constitute proof of compliance with the standards determined pursuant to Section 27157.5.

Amended Ch. 769, Stats. 1974. Effective January 1, 1975.

Vehicle Pollution Emission Regulations
27157. The State Air Resources Board, after consultation with, and pursuant to the recommendations of, the commissioner, shall adopt such reasonable regulations as it determines are necessary for the public health and safety regarding the maximum allowable emissions of pollutants from vehicles upon a highway. Such regulations shall apply only to vehicles required by Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any federal law or regulation to be equipped with devices or systems to control emission of pollutants from the exhaust and shall not be stricter than the emission standards required of that model year motor vehicle when first manufactured.

One of the many greasy laws in Part 5 of Division 26 ->

43610. The state board shall set standards for, and certify,
exhaust devices to significantly reduce the emission of oxides of
nitrogen from 1966 through 1970 model year motor vehicles
, as
determined by the state board from a representative sampling of such
motor vehicles, which the state board has found to be necessary and
technologically feasible to carry out the purposes of this division.

In setting standards under this section, the primary consideration
shall be the greatest possible reduction of oxides of nitrogen.

Don't see the one for 70-75 but I'm sure it's there. There's nothing magical about those 5 years.

Vehicular Air Pollution Control
43000. The Legislature finds and declares as follows:

(a) The emission of air pollutants from motor vehicles is the primary cause of air pollution in many parts of the state.

(b) The control and elimination of those air pollutants is of prime importance for the protection and preservation of the public health and well-being, and for the prevention of irritation to the senses, interference with visibility, and damage to vegetation and property.

(c) The state has a responsibility to establish uniform procedures for compliance with standards which control or eliminate those air pollutants.

(d) Vehicle emission standards applied to new motor vehicles, and to used motor vehicles equipped with motor vehicle pollution control devices, are standards with which all motor vehicles shall comply.

(e) Dependence on petroleum based fuels in motor vehicles not only contributes to substantial degradation of air quality and risk to public health, but also impedes the state's progress toward the petroleum use reduction goal prescribed in Section 25000.5 of the Public Resources Code.

(Amended Ch. 900, Stats. 1991. Effective January 1, 1992.)

Amended Ch. 373, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.

Certificates of Compliance; Vehicle Inspection
27158. After notice by a traffic officer that a vehicle does not comply with any regulation adopted pursuant to Section 27157, no person shall operate, and no owner shall permit the operation of, such vehicle for more than 30 days thereafter unless a certificate of compliance has been issued for such vehicle in accordance with the provisions of Section 9889.18 of the Business and Professions Code or unless the department has checked the vehicle and determined that the vehicle has been made to comply with such regulation adopted pursuant to Section 27157. A certificate of compliance issued for such vehicle shall, for a period of one year from date of issue, constitute proof of compliance with any regulations adopted pursuant to Section 27157 provided that no required pollution control device has been disconnected, modified, or altered or has been adjusted by other than a licensed installer in a licensed motor vehicle pollution control device installation and inspection station subsequent to the issuance of the certificate of compliance. The provisions of this section shall apply to the United States and its agencies to the extent authorized by federal law.

Amended Ch. 769, Stats. 1974. Effective January 1, 1975.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #97
Super Moderator

So all of that basically gives the CHP the right to pounce on your ass and shove fines up it if they feel like it. You could prob do a burnout in an alcohol blown 632BB 1969 Corvette tubbed with a solid axle, slicks and a wheelie bar as you drive past the CHP station off the 5 freeway and no one would take a second look for your PCV valve. But if they wanted to... they could, and they could take your car away for a year and until you fix all the smog stuff.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #98
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So all of that basically gives the CHP the right to pounce on your ass and shove fines up it if they feel like it. You could prob do a burnout in an alcohol blown 632BB 1969 Corvette tubbed with a solid axle, slicks and a wheelie bar as you drive past the CHP station off the 5 freeway and no one would take a second look for your PCV valve. But if they wanted to... they could, and they could take your car away for a year and until you fix all the smog stuff.
Thanks for the legal details. It's kinda what I was saying in a round about sort of way (I think).

a) yeah, there are rules
b) you aren't going to a smog station every two years (important bit) . . . so
c) you'd "probably" never have a problem, especially with something like a modern engine (especially if you sorta kept it like a modern engine with cats, etc.) in a pre 1976 . . . but
d) because we live in a kind of police state, the man can f with you at will

Basically, I follow the law very strictly (almost). But I wouldn't worry at all about doing a Silvia swap into an old 240 and making it pretty naughty.

And I repeat my idea for smog regs. Every year/make/model should have defined emissions standards for actual emissions (sniffer). As long as I'm within those standards for my chassis, 1982 Corvette in my case, get the f out of my life you Fascist twats.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #99
Super Moderator

Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that some late 75s still need to be smogged. Could you imagine buying a 75 something or other and getting that first smog req reg in the mail.

So another thing you might want to research if you did buy a 75, and not anything 74 or earlier.