Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Default Steering help needed

Issue: While turning the steering wheel while moving, I get a loud schreaching noise from the engine bay. Does NOT make the noise stationary or moving at street or freeway speeds. Only makes the noise when Im say parking in a parking stall or making a U turn.

Replaced: Belt (x2), steering pump, steering box, steering fluid (x?), and now the belt tensioner. All of the steering parts are now new or fairly new, steering does move smooth in both directions, no binding or anything like that.

Noise temporarily goes away when I spray the ribbed part of the belt with WD-40, tried it on my last belt. Ive taken the belt completely off, took a wire brush to ALL of the pulleys and cleaned them with soapy water before installing brand new belt. All of the power steering lines are not kinked, the lines do get hot when engine is run for awhile, so I doubt there are any lines plugged. Im seriously at my wits end with this one. Im so close to locking it up in the garage and throwing away the keys.

So, any ideas on what the problem is? Anything Im doing wrong? Or is a book of matches my solution?

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Anyone have any ideas?

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

My truck is the same way, ALL of the pullies are partially to blame. I just ignore it, when it gets really bad i just lube up the bearings
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #4

But this is ungodly loud. People a block away can hear me. Just imagine the worst belt squealing you've ever heard, and at least double that.

I'm going to get a new idler pulley today. I'll get a video if the problem persists.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Does it make the same sound when the AC compressor kicks in?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Not sure, I don't have any R12 in the system, so I don't even turn it on.

I changed out the idler pulley and the power steering pulley with no luck. I'm trying to find out if it has a filter, if so, where is it? I'm wondering if it's creating a lot of back pressure.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...t/9da6629c.mp4

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...t/9da6629c.mp4

First part of the first video is while goin about 5mph, second part I'm not moving at all. 2nd video is while pulling into my garage which is a right hand turn.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Replaced so far:
ZQ8 steering box
steering pump
3 different belts (only have 2 now, Dayco and Goodyear, sounds much better with Dayco)
belt tenioner
idler pulley
power steering pulley
power steering lines, from box to cooler then cooler to pump
reinstalled alt bracket
ball joints
Jeep steering shaft
pitman arm
idler arm
electric fan conversion

Everything is straight with each other, checked with a straight edge. The alt, power steering pump and crank pulley were checked.

New thing I just found out. If Im turning and it squeaks (which it will), if I give it just a hair of gas, the noise goes away. Should I change out the power steering line from pump to box or should I just take this POS in and have someone else try and figure it out?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Thanks Paul for your help today. He came to the conclusion that it was my wheel bearing and not a belt issue. He even said it sounded like a belt squealing. So I need to buy a new hub and get it put in. Another $85 to put into it.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Call ed's, they can get timkin hubs. I paid $100 for the pair on the mustangs.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!