Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Delaminate

So I'm on the third coat of primer on this surfboard, getting it as straight as Vin Diesel. And the freaking edge starts to delaminate, just a small 2" spot... but still, I'm pissed, I've spent weeks sanding this thing.

So I drilled a hole, and injected resin in there with an oral syringe and now I have weights on top of it. Damn. I hope it works.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Did it come up as a bubble or did the primer just rip off? Usually delam's start in the jel, so if your injection fills the void and sticks to the surrounding material, Your aces. But remember heat or direct sunlight can bring these little nasty's back to the surface. I would put that bugger out in the sun and see if anything else rises, before You paint. That way You'll know she won't do it somewhere else. Always a bitch to make something pretty and have a big ass bubble rise up and say hi!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Came up as a bubble. It's been in the sun for weeks while I've been block sanding and spraying now about 8 coats of surfacer! Haha. That's prob why it popped up. The resin filled the void underneath and I left some of it on top too. It should hold up.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Be careful about your film build, more material means less flexibility. Depending on what kind of surfacer You are using You could be getting as much as 1.5 mils depth with each coat. Now when You sand You will lose somewhere around halve that depth, so assuming that, You would have about 4 mils build. In the auto biz we don't like to see over about 7 to 10 mils total. And surfboards have a much ruffer life than cars. We also like to see about a 3 to 4 mil depth on the topcoat using automotive paint, for longjevity, again that is assuming Your going to use automotive paint. If You have any questions please feel free to pm me. I have been in the auto paint industry for a long long time. Todd
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

Adam, are you still living in SD for school?
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Super Moderator

No man I sublet my place for the summer. Summer school is $8K and my scholarship won't work towards it.

Iespeed, after every coat except the last I have sanded down through to the fiberglass in some areas, so it's not so thick over most of the board. I could have done it in less coats and I definitely wasted some primer not using a guide coat at first.