Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Yah, for a hanging.
There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #42

If you're looking for interesting motor combinations. I've always been fascinated with diesels and the 6.6 duramax is a bad ass motor with tons of potential.

Size wise they're a bit bigger than a SBC, weight wise its round 800lbs, say around 200lbs heavier than an iron block SBC. less if you factor in a blower or turbo components. Still its a heavy motor. But if you want a wow factor imagine a 600-800hp, 1200+lb-ft car in the 3000lb range. For the chassis, its more up in the air. You'd want something with a large engine bay and a strong frame/unibody. It might be a project for something more along the lines of a older Camaro. But there have been people that swapped them in C3 vettes.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #43
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
If you're looking for interesting motor combinations. I've always been fascinated with diesels and the 6.6 duramax is a bad ass motor with tons of potential.

Size wise they're a bit bigger than a SBC, weight wise its round 800lbs, say around 200lbs heavier than an iron block SBC. less if you factor in a blower or turbo components. Still its a heavy motor. But if you want a wow factor imagine a 600-800hp, 1200+lb-ft car in the 3000lb range. For the chassis, its more up in the air. You'd want something with a large engine bay and a strong frame/unibody. It might be a project for something more along the lines of a older Camaro. But there have been people that swapped them in C3 vettes.

How about a bio diesel Duramax in a Gen 2 F Body? That could be interesting and we could simultaneously explore the world of making our own fuel of leftover cooking grease, etc.

Any idea what these motors go for used in good condition?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #44
Internet Tough Guy

There is a SR20det for sale on e-bay for $899. This is a common swap. There is a rb28det on ebay for $1200.

My $0.02: I would go with the GTR motor. The 2jz is more robust, but the skyline motor is a Nissan motor and it's a way more rare. People have paid premium dollar for 240z from all generations to get the RB dropped in. I've seen so many SR20 swaps that I honestly ignore them.

With the RB you will be very likely to find a Nissan purist who will not be able live without it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #45
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
Forget that I mentioned Audi, I just really like the R8 and remember it also has a V12

Audi R8 V12 TDI (deutsch) - Video

I don't know of many V12 powered cars at affordable prices, older cars like the Jaguar XJS and BMW 8 series are the only ones worth mentioning.

AHHHH screw it go 2JZ and woop some V12's

This guy did
YouTube - Fastest V12 Lamborghini VS Toyota Supra from Hell
The V12 deisel R8 never made production. It's a shame too. I felt this would have given the car some brand identity and would make the R8 some honest lineage to the R8 and R10 tdi. Now it's just a conservatively dressed Baby lambo.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
There is a rb28det on ebay for $1200.
Wha!? Post a link I can't find it!!!

The only RB28 I know of was from Tomei and it sure as hell wouldn't be $1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Now it's just a conservatively dressed Baby lambo.
LMFAO!!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #47
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
Wha!? Post a link I can't find it!!!

The only RB28 I know of was from Tomei and it sure as hell wouldn't be $1200

LMFAO!!!!
I fucked up. I was actually looking at the RB20DET that wasavailable in 1989+ Skylines. Not the newer 2.5 and 2.8 L motors. I didn't even know there was a 2L Skyline motor. Here is a link with a bunch of options:

http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engines/nissan
Old 02-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #48

BAHA okay now that's a so-so price for a rb20. Still an RB28 isn't a factory Nissan built motor, Tomei built them using RB26's which is the GTR motor.

Man I was just about to sell the Supra and pick up and old Datsun 280 just to swap in that awesome piece of machinery....as soon as I won it
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #49
Internet Tough Guy

I know. It would be awesome.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
How about a bio diesel Duramax in a Gen 2 F Body? That could be interesting and we could simultaneously explore the world of making our own fuel of leftover cooking grease, etc.

Any idea what these motors go for used in good condition?
From what I've seen they go from ~$5k for a drop out to $10k+ for a new motor. I would see no point in going for a brand new one, its a diesel, its overbuilt, and it will last forever.

Converting it to biodiesel is an interesting idea. It would be the best ride you could get once the zombie apocalypse comes.

The 6.6 is an amazing motor, people are hitting an easy 500whp with bolt ons and tuning. Unfortunately diesel tuning is over my head.