Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Chate
Default Supercharging/Cams

Question for all you gurus out there, i'm confused about heads and cams versus supercharging (specifically on vettes, but i guess it would apply to anything). Is it possible to do both, or is it a one or the other type of thing?
I looked up how heads/cams work on howstuffworks (LOL, i'm a noob, sorry) and though theres a significant difference in price (almost double to get it blown) the overall benefit of a blower seems higher (better day to day drivability, higher final output)

So as i sit here before class starts, i wonder, should i bother doing any bolt ons, moving up slowly if you will, or just be slow till i can throw a blower on the beast (or depending on if she dies before i finish, get a used pre-blown z06)?

someone show me the light?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #2

IMHO, heads and cam will be easier on the engine long term, but down on power compared to the supercharger. Now that being said, there are certain benefits to doing a head/cam upgrade at the same time you do the s/c'er. My way is to upgrade the heads/cam and the rotating assembly (forged) if you are going for boost.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
Question for all you gurus out there, i'm confused about heads and cams versus supercharging (specifically on vettes, but i guess it would apply to anything). Is it possible to do both, or is it a one or the other type of thing?
I looked up how heads/cams work on howstuffworks (LOL, i'm a noob, sorry) and though theres a significant difference in price (almost double to get it blown) the overall benefit of a blower seems higher (better day to day drivability, higher final output)

So as i sit here before class starts, i wonder, should i bother doing any bolt ons, moving up slowly if you will, or just be slow till i can throw a blower on the beast (or depending on if she dies before i finish, get a used pre-blown z06)?

someone show me the light?
I'm sure Carlos will chime in on this, but the short answer is it depends what you want to use the car for. You can do heads and cam and a blower but you would want to match up the pieces as you go to make it as efficient as possible.

The advantage of heads and cam is that it's less money than a supercharger, you can still make great power, and if you set it up correctly the reliability should be almost as good as factory (in theory). It also weighs less obviously (which matters if you're tracking the car) and shouldn't be nearly as heat affected as a supercharged setup.

A blower is more expensive but you can make good power with relatively low boost on an LS1. The drivability should be as good as stock and if you use a CARB legal blower smog wouldn't be a problem.

For an LS1 Vette on a budget I'd probably do a smog legal heads and cam setup. Something like Vettezuki's car but a little less radical (so you can run on just 91 octane). It'll make plenty of power and should be reliable. If you have a lot of money to throw around though, I'd do a built shortblock LSX based motor with a procharger.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #4

IC
Well my typical 4 yr car cycle will end in 2011 (right when i graduate) so either i spend ~20K+my vette in trade (so roughly 25-28k) on another vehicle or invest more money to make this one better. Looking at companies like ECS offering packages like this:

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/SC700.html

I'm tempted (its cam and blower like plunk and big G suggested), but not many 700hp cars out there for ~26 k right?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #5

My dad (in his infinite Indian wisdom) is right though, "the hunger for power will never end, and somebody else will always be faster. You will keep modifying and modifying and then one day you won't be able to drive it any more, and then you will cry."

Maybe i should just stick to intake/exhaust and nothing else and save the inevitable agony.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #6

When you get to the 750-800 h.p. range, it is enough to satisfy most every speed freak, except for a few borderline death-wish types...lol. You have no traction. What can you do with more?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #7

hmm you make a valid point...ah the chase continues...I got an exam now, please pray to the car gods that i dont fail...