Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #61
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpalmer View Post
Etc. etc. I feel bad, I think this thread has gone a slightly different direction than I intended
I challenge you to find one Motorgen thread that stays on topic.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #62
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The process is not complete until I call someone a communist. ;-)

I prefer "PINKO".
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #63

Default V8 FDs

you guys are funny, nice to see everyone's not strung out about being on topic all the time Check out these pics of the V8 FDs, there were three of them from what I remember (a purplish one with fender flares, a silver one with black wheels, and a white one with white wheels...). The one with the flares had a license plate that read, "GUDZIRA". I think the Japanese folks would tell him he spelled it wrong, but the English pronunciation is correct

Gallery: http://michael-david-palmer.com/gall...=48&g2_page=13

2001 DC4 Acura Integra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #64
Super Moderator

Is the handling really just as good with a V8? I would think it would move the center of gravity up higher.

How about 20Bs? Does the extra weight throw the car off? My uncles Turbo was the best handling car I've ever been in. Miata road racer might have had an edge, but those cars feel like go-carts.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Is the handling really just as good with a V8? I would think it would move the center of gravity up higher.

How about 20Bs? Does the extra weight throw the car off? My uncles Turbo was the best handling car I've ever been in. Miata road racer might have had an edge, but those cars feel like go-carts.
I'm not one to judge as I've never actually had a chance to pilot a V8 swapped car... but from what I've read, the weight distribution fwd/aft is hardly affected. As you suggested, the CG might get bumped up an inch or two at most (I have no proof of this, just a judgment call), but for "mortals" like me, I don't think I would even notice on the street. If you gave the car to a real good driver and he was pushing it on a track, there may be a noticeable difference.

Not too sure about 20B engines. I have a feeling they may be a little more nose heavy, esp. if equipped with a turbo + supporting equipment (intercooler, piping, etc.). But that depends on how far back you set the motor, from what I gather, a lot of people have to do bad things to the firewall to set it back so as to not affect the fwd/aft distribution too much... never know til you get it on a scale I guess...

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #66
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpalmer View Post
. . . The one with the flares had a license plate that read, "GUDZIRA". I think the Japanese folks would tell him he spelled it wrong, but the English pronunciation is correct
English: Godzilla
Japanese Pronunciation: GO-JI-RA (pronounced more like LA)

Meaning: God of the KUJIRA (whales) -> GOJIRA (ゴジラ)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
English: Godzilla
Japanese Pronunciation: GO-JI-RA (pronounced more like LA)

Meaning: God of the KUJIRA (whales) -> GOJIRA (ゴジラ)
So they're not actually trying to pronounce our word? They have a similar word to describe the same thing and their pronunciation is correct?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #68
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So they're not actually trying to pronounce our word? They have a similar word to describe the same thing and their pronunciation is correct?
Godzilla is OUR pronunciation of their made up word. Unless you mean the GO part of GOJIRA, which derives from God.

In principle you are correct. The Japanese use TONS of English words (at least hundreds, maybe more). However you might have a hard time recognizing them. The essential problem is that their phonetic system is about half the size of ours, so when constraining English words into Japanese phonetics, things get altered quite a bit. Then throw in the fact that the Japanese usage of English words can be substantially different than our usage and you have another layer of confusement.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)